View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Random Part-Time Hobbyist

I'm not sure when everyone else got started, but I know a few of you got a head start on me and I am sure a few of you started after me, but I received my kit on Sep 17. I was also in the middle of building a Semroc VF-261 for the October Sky Festival. I added a canopy to it and made custom decals, so that project had to get finished before I could dive into the Saturn.
  1. Basic model rocket building techniques - No problems here.
  2. Research - Everything I know about SA-205 I learned from all of you on this forum.
  3. Building around a reference line - I had started a Saturn 1B last year but never got past the step of adding the LEM shroud, so I used it as a model where I marked up wrap seams, black areas and white areas in pencil.
  4. Building up hollow fins - This wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and perhaps some RC airplane experience helped here.
  5. Resin casting - I have no idea what this is but it sounds pretty cool.
  6. Forming and gluing paper shrouds - Tank Fairing shroud proved to be a bit of a challenge, but Fill n Finish hid any flaws. The LEM shorud on this one worked perfectly, specially compared to the disaster I had on my first attempt. The only difference? This time I followed the directions!
  7. Fabricating parts with launch lug and cardstock - With a little Fill n Finish my Discharge Tubes came out nice, but I scrapped the Retro Rockets and used balsa instead.
  8. Fabricating balsa parts - My first attempt at making the divots on the Vector Control Housings resulted in crushed balsa grains. For my second attempt, I tipped the dowel slightly and rotated it around to press smaller portions at a time. This worked better than trying to plunge the dowel in.
  9. Applying tube wraps - I laid the wraps face down on waxed paper and smeared a thin layer of Elmer's Glue-All over the entire back side with my finger, then applied it to the tube. This was way easier than I had thought it would be.
  10. Filling - Fuel Tank Fairing and LEM shroud both received a good amount of Fill n Finish.
  11. Deciding when to attach details and when to paint - I went back and forth quite a bit on this decision, especially on whether to attach the Fins before or after the paint. At one point I was convinced I would pre paint the Fins before assembly to the rocket, but I was concerned about being able to align the demarkation lines and having gaps where the Fins attach. I ended up attaching the Fins first. I know this made masking more difficult but it all ended up fine. I attached the Retro Rocket Housings, the Tunnels and the LEM Latch Pads before painting. All other details were applied after painting.
  12. Attaching details - For parts that attached to the main tube (Discharge Tubes, Retro Rocket Housings, etc), I laid a piece of sandpaper around the main tube (grit side out) to use as a sading block to get a raduised mounting surface that allowed them to fit more snug to the tube.
  13. Masking - Masking the Fuel Tank/Fairing/Fin area literally took several hours. I used Model Masters masking tape for the main edges and used Frog Tape to cover the larger areas. Before spraying black I "sealed" the taped edges with a litght coat of white.
  14. Painting - I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch Gloss White and Gloss Black spray cans, and Model Master brush on paint for touch up and details. I do have an airbrush, but I didn't think I would have had time to use it on this project, and I knew that I wouldn't have had any issues with masking tape pulling off the paint below if I used the Rustoleum.
  15. Attaching parts after painting - I used CA on the Vector Control Housings, but that fogged up the black paint behind it. All other details were added with Aleen's Tacky Glue.
  16. Applying decals - I used lots of Micro Set and Micro Sol applied with Q-Tips. In addition to the standard kit decals I made waterslide decals for the LEM shroud lines and the Service Module. The SM decal was the hardest as it was a single decal that wrapped around the entire SM. I also made decals for the Fuel Fill Ports on the LEM shroud and the little rocket vents at the top of the Escape Tower.
  17. Drawing straight lines on a curved surface - Before I decided to make decals for this, I was planning on using a body tube (or making one with paper) to slip over the LEM shroud to use as a straight edge. The decal idea was definitely the way to go for this.
  18. Assembling plastic parts - I used Ambroid ProWeld plastic glue which allows you to assemble the parts first and brush it on to the joint. It uses capilary action to seep into the joint. It dries almost instantly too, and it has no nasty odor. It's great stuff!
  19. Fabricating plastic parts - Didn't do any of this.
  20. Detailing - Didn't do much of this either - due to my lack of knowledge about Saturn details and my lack of time.
SAM 160