View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsager
As we turned left from the gravel onto the paved park road, he started getting pings on the LCD. I had a pretty good visual on his rocket all the way to the ground, and estimated he would be 500' west of the lookout tower.

Almost immediately he starts saying "closer, closer, STOP, pull over here!" We are 2000 feet short of where I think we should be . He hops out and makes a bee-line for your co-ordinates. (your post above)

Jon was about 400 feet from the road when he suddenly disappears from view. He came back to the car soaked. The water was above his knees. He says - "I need hip waders".

I drive him down the road to where I think we should be and we find his rocket fairly quickly -

He was still getting a signal from your Eggfinder. I think your last co-ordinates are pretty accurate, and you should still be able to find it near there.

That was Jon's L1 cert flight.

That's almost exactly what happened to me (except for getting a ping). Having been all over that area and then looking at it on a satellite map, Jon and I would have needed a lot more than hip waders to get across to it (more like a canoe).

I tried several times to find a way to those coordinates from different approaches but it the parts that aren't swamp are really thick brush.

Glad he passed his cert!