View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Babe
The size of the model and choice of engines doesn't matter. It's a simple choice of powering what you build and how you wish to enjoy it. Do you want low & slow, or fast and out of sight? How far do you want to take it, a simple cluster, or staged AND clustered? It all comes down to the builder/flyer.

It does matter. In fact, you verify below.

Quote:
I like to cluster everything. For the Estes 1/100 kit, it flies just fine on a SINGLE D12 under the RIGHT conditions. It also flies well on a 5 engine cluster or as an 11 engine 3 stage. Just determine what you wish to do with a particular kit and make the upgrades.

Clustering is not a problem with most rockets but what you must remember is that anytime you upgrade any rocket you have to upgrade other things as well, i.e. launch equipment and size of field.

Too many people try to do things the model wasn't designed for, and then blame the model for the issue. Any time you add power, you add stresses that weren't designed. You then must reinforce, which adds weight. If you don't choose the proper delay, set the proper CG/CP relationship, strengthen accordingly, and fly in the right conditions, bad things happen.