View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I suspect the relays in the receiver of that device above may be in the realm of 10 amps limit? I believe most of the pyro stuff is low current. That can be modified by using
a low current relay to switch in a standard car/marine battery.

When I started out 12 years ago I bought a coded transmitter and 8 or so separate receivers.
The transmitter was unique in that there was a switch block on the front of the transmitter
that one could set a code on four switches besides an on/off switch on the side. The receivers had a learning mode and could be trained for the code on the switchblock.

I use the receivers to activate a low amp relay to switch a standard 12V marine or car battery so no issues about burning out the receivers with a dead short.

My procedure is to scramble the switchblock settings and leave the transmitter off. If it were turned on with it scrambled, one can push all the 12 buttons and nothing is going to happen.When ready, I turn the transmitter on, set the proper code on the switches, clear the area and fire. Unfortunately, the transmitter I purchased so long ago is not longer made
with the switchblock coding.

I've seen some situations where a club does a similar thing but puts 4 or more receivers into a box, wire up continuity checks and LEDs. Use a gel cell to power the receivers and marine or car battery to feed standard igniters through a relay Problem with the handheld transmitter is there is only the on/off switch on some units so technically there is no interlock like the one I purchased. I know the Ebay vendors store but don't know if proper to post as it could
be interpreted as advertising.

One could remount the transmitter in some other container and have the associated safety switches but with myself, I won't bother as the coded switchbox is enough.

There is a purpose built launch system out there that is thoughtfully researched with wireless capability but it costs. Very robust and strong but is an investment. Kurt