View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for all the feedback, but most of it is really overkill for me. I'd really like to get back to the original basic question.

Yes, back when I built rockets regularly as a kid, I finished all balsa parts using coats of Aerogloss, sanding between coats. That's what I expected to keep doing when I recently started building again, so I was a bit surprised when the instructions in the kits I bought recently said to use primer paint instead of aerogloss. So I thought I'd give the primer a try.

I'm not a perfectionist by any means. I'm not going to put the time and effort in that some have described using various suggested methods. For me, I'm either sticking with the aerogloss, or going to try just regular spray in a can primer.

So going back to the original question, if I want to do the primer, can I just use regular Krylon or Rust-o-leum primer in a spray can, or is there is a specific modeler primer paint I should look for? I looked on the Testors paint rack at the hobby shop and didn't see a primer. The instructions don't give any detail about any specific primer.

Actually, now that I think about it more, even beyond the primer, what about just the regular spray paint? I've always used Testors paint. Is there a reason to prefer this vs. just regular Krylon or Rust-o-leum spray paint? I'm sure it's cheaper (probably the same price for 2 or 3 times the size of spray can)? Certain colors I'm guessing I can probably really only find in the model spray paint, but for basic black, white, red, blue, green, would just Krylon or Rust-o-leum do fine?

Thanks again!