View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 PM
slave to the wind

Thanks, I knew someone out there would alleviate my fears.

The 18 seems jammed in there, but the 24mm with E11s went just fine. In fact I almost forgot to grease it as I was test fitting the parts it just started to go together. Before I got to the ejection charge though I went back and lubed it up in just the right places.

Concerning the 18 though, I lubed up the case, the charge and o-rings etc. I still am not sure what I plan on sacrificing to it (all of my 18mm rockets may be way overpowered by th D-13 loads).

Concerning the ingition: Cigarette lighter adapter and say 25' or more of lead to microclips. What do you think? My ignition would be plugging it into the lighter socket, with the failsafe of the car must be turned on for the lighter to have power. I have three sockets in my PT and two are keyed (won't come on without being in at least accessory postition).

Tomorrow (if I can get my electronics together) may see the maiden flight of my SLS-Laser. I am only planning an E-18 for first flight. Based on RockSim, I should see about 1000' (though with the amount of paint and filler I have on it, I am only hopeful of the first 5 or 6 hundred). I really considered an E11, but my RockSim doesn't have that engine on file and I haven't been able to get the Engine Edit to work right for me yet. I used an E-12jrc for the numbers but don't trust them.

Sorry to be so chatty about RMSs and the like, but SLS models and RMS engines are so new to me. I first, don't want to kill/hurt/ or otherwise ruin anyone's day, and second, don't want to blow up my beautiful rocket (which, by the way, has probably 40 hours worth of sanding/refinishing on it). Not bragging, but I have never spent this much time or care on anything so far. It has been quite rewarding and I hopefully have learned some patience and how not to depend on shortcuts.

I plan on getting some decent photo's of it before I light it up. I am quite proud of my fillets (thanks to SkyPirate's instructional) and the finishing details (thanks to all of you here) and last but not least thanks to Carl@Semroc for the awesome kit in the first place. If she my first RMS experience, I may ask for the 29mm engine mount (I glued in the 24mm adapter) and try some larger engines and loads.

Wish me luck tomorrow. Sunny and 61 here, ist the forecast for Sunday. As long as the breeze isn't too high, you may see my launch report here as well.