View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think that was the other way around. Martin couldn't get out of his contract. I once heard Junior Johnson describe Mark's Roush contract as being way too restrictive. That's why Mark had to run part time for a few seasons after leaving Roush before getting a full time ride at Hendrick. There were way too many strings attached in the Roush contract.

Johnson had apparently tried to engage Mark a few years earlier and found that Roush had him hog tied at that time. I think Mark thought he had a better chance of winning with another team and wanted out, but couldn't get free of his contract.

Frankly, after seeing him get 2nd place in the Cup series 4 times, I don't think his problem was who he was driving for; it was him failing to lay a bumper on a few guys at opportune times. He was too clean for his own good, I think.

Doug

He also suffered because of the kid glove way that NASCAR treated Earnhardt. One of his second place points finishes came in 1990 during a season where he was penalized for a spacer being bolted in place between the carb and manifold instead of being welded. He was penalized 46 points. In an October race Earnhardt left the pit box with the left side wheels not bolted in place and the tires fell off as he pulled out onto pit road. After the inevitable sep, his crew ran down with a jack, got the car up, and tightened the wheels right in the pit lane despite being warned not to do it. NASCAR looked the other way and Dale won the championship by 20 points, give or take six. Dale was a great driver, but he wouldn't have been quite as dominant if NASCAR didn't have Dale rules and everyone else rules.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark