View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Default Sheri's Hot Rockets, LJII QTV

Group,

I understand that there is a discussion about this kit, but no build pictures?! I am in the process of buiding one and I will post pictures later this evening.

I only have 3 of her kits (SHR), and the LJII is taxing all of my building abilities to get right.

Unfortunately, I have had to almost throw out the included instructions and make my own set, and replace/enhance many of the kit components. I don't know if others have had this same experience, but from what I have read, its a common experience with other builders.

All I can say is, 'Thank God we have styrene sheets to work with!'

The nose cone, I would have paid an extra $40 - $60 to have either a solid wood, or blow molded plastic example.

The fins made of styrene, while quick to build, are very unscale, and fragile.

The main body tube ... that had to go as well; actually I found a way to work around it.

The dummy LES ... I kept the tower assembly and part of the main LES tube (DOWEL) structure.

The kit is GREAT if you want just a sport scale to fly for fun, still a pain to build. I have her Sat 1b that I don't think I will ever build, but use it as a 1/48 reference model to scratch build a near-scale 1b. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the Lox and Fuel tanks not being individual tubes but an accordion arragement that approximated the look of 8 seperate tubes. Nice in size, but once you get within 1 yard of it, you start to see issues ... not goot at all!

I will get some pics up later tonight ... in the meantime, please enjoy this first picture of the main body and nose cone that I finished; not per the instructions in the kit:

Jonathan

P.s. I hope this helps ease some of the tensions caused by my political postings. After all, I do build fly and rockets RIGHT along side my left-winged brothers.