View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Default LEGO Rocket building aids

Alongside model rocketry, I have several other interests/hobbies, one of these being LEGO building. Along with being a BAR, I am also a professed AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO).

So, the other day, I was in need of a horizontal cradle stand to hold a Star Seeker model for gluing up the fins. I had a pile of LEGO bricks nearby, and was quickly able to knock together a serviceable stand using base plates, bricks, and some 45 degree slope pieces. It works wonderfully! The beauty of this is that the cradle can be adapted to virtually any length or size of tubing, depending on the model.

After this, I started thinking about what other build aids could be made using LEGO bricks.

I came up with a fin marking guide using a 1x8 tile as the guide reference. Height can be adjusted to any tube diameter by using various bricks and plates in the base.

Another LEGO tool is to use a brick or two as a vertical guide for sanding square fin edges.

Since LEGO elements are manufactured to precise tolerances, they are a natural to use as accurate measuring /marking references. I'm sure there are lots of other uses for this versatile product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20160728_071037.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  683.0 KB  

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/