View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 02:50 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I thought I'd post a couple of pictures to refresh your memory and to show those who don't know what we are discussing.

One of the drawbacks of the Medalist towers is that with many years of use they tend to bend the 6 sheet aluminum sections that maintain their overall shape (the gold colored sections seen in the photos below with the circular holes in them). The reason for this is that the only real way to transport these towers is on their sides and the thin sheet aluminum eventually bends the tower out of true. You can see on my tower that the support sections at the top of the tower (the part with the "Detroit" sticker) have been replaced with similar pieces made out of steel.

Even so, if you can find one I'd still buy it and use it for low power. I really like the Apogee tower, too, but the Medalist is a classic.

My Medalist came second-hand, and came bent out of shape. The soft aluminum used for the upper and lower separators are really easy to bend out of shape, but impossible to bend back into shape. Many years ago I asked Bill Saindon about making some more parts but he had sold out of his original supply and was not eager to make more.