View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
While John Brohm (Thank You!) resolved this matter in Reply #21 (on page 3 of this thread), the Astro decals *do* look different in two different depictions shown *here* (see: http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1937/est1937.pdf [its fins are pretty big, too, as you had wondered about in your posting above]), and this phenomenon could "throw off" decal color perceptions for other OOP kits that folks want to re-create, too (especially if the would-be "re-creator" never had such a kit, or never saw a built one). To illustrate this phenomenon using the Astro's simple decor scheme:

On the Astro's kit insert card (as shown in the above-linked scan), the "swept block" fin decal is white, but it is gray in the scan of the decal sheet. But as John Brohm reported (and showed, with attached photographs of his Astro in Reply #21), *both* "swept block" decal colors shown in the scan were wrong, with that portion of the decal actually being silver! With the more complex decor schemes on other OOP kits, it would be easy (if one didn't have an actual example of the old kit, or a good color picture of a built one, or an older model rocketeer's description of the actual decal color or colors) to make decals for a reproduction of an old kit that are the wrong color(s), without even knowing it.

I wouldn't necessarily rely on an old rocketeers memory of the color of a decal either. I know in my own case, I believed the "orange in the decals for the Andromeda were a lot brighter than what I have found out. I actually mow believe the orange was closer to the red-orange of the Astro's decals.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.