View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don't have teenagers.

Lemme saw that limb off for you. I have a 16 year old daughter, and she does text me sometimes. If the answer is "yes" or "no" or "ask your mother" I will reply with a text, slowly, but otherwise I just call her back.

Quote:
The single greatest app my wife and I use is Google Maps. We travel a lot and having your phone tell you how to get somewhere is an absolute must once you use it. Especially when you're in a unfamiliar downtown setting and trying to figure out the best way to get to your destination.

I have a Tom Tom which works pretty well, though it's a bit bitchy sounding. I also have a Samsung tablet (wifi only) and yeah, I've used Google Maps on it. I'm fairly experienced at dead-reckoning navigation, so it's not something I find a lot of use for; in fact, I've been known to have spirited arguments with the Tom Tom.

Quote:
By the way, no slam intended. I often wonder what it would be like to give up on all of life's modern electronic conveniences. When I look at our monthly outlay for broadband internet, satellite TV, streaming services like Netflix, and two smartphones, it is pretty staggering.

"Modern electronic conveniences."

I sell and service computers for a living, and am accounted a competent programmer by those who pay me to do programming for them (including five county collectors, three county assessors, three county recorders of deeds, and one commercial customer).

What I'm not is a gadget freak. To me, a smartphone is a money sink I don't need. My daughter has finally decided she wants one, but it took her a while... she hates touchscreen keyboards, and presently uses a phone with a slide-out keyboard. My wife has the same model phone, and she too has decided she wants a smartphone; in her case, the resistance comes from the added costs for the data plan. I am even cheaper, and I do not see enough advantages in a smartphone to counterbalance the added cost.

In other words, I may not have a smartphone, but Amish I ain't.

Quote:
I have convinced my wife to actually be willing to give up our land line.

Heh. My wife first brought up the subject, and the decision was mutual.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org