Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Default Estes K35 Constellation first offered in 1969?

As I'm adding more individual kit pages to the Estes pricing database, it was time to tackle the K35 Constellation. Jimid posted images of his early kits including a K35 Constellation without hang tag. Was Estes still issuing no hang tag kits through 1969? Yes, I've checked the Estes catalogs and the Constellation first appears in 1969, but the Jimid kit packaging and graphics suggest an earlier origin.

Can anyone share insight on this matter. I will continue to build the K35 Constellation no hang tag page assuming 1969 production but feel a bit uncomfortable to justify if challenged.

Thanks

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  k35_front69.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  26.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  k35_back69.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  26.2 KB  
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Note that Jimi's kit uses a non-gusseted bag (i.e. does not have side folds). I have seen a few kits over the years that were packaged this way, although they are quite scarce. Mark Mayfield recently sold a Camroc kit on Ebay that was packaged this way. These kits were clearly made up during a transition from no hangtag, gusset bag kits (1968 and prior) to non-gusseted bag kits that had the early yellow hangtag (1969 to about 1971?). Obviously, Estes had the non-gusset bag stock ready to go (and ran out of their gusseted bags) before the first shipment of hangtags arrived. So yes, the kit is from 1969, probably made up early that year.

Joe
Old 12-21-2009, 09:46 AM

Hi Joe

Your response was most helpful. The gusseted/non-gusseted bag variable is an excellent point that will be added to the kit descriptions.

Thank you
Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
As I'm adding more individual kit pages to the Estes pricing database, it was time to tackle the K35 Constellation. Jimid posted images of his early kits including a K35 Constellation without hang tag. Was Estes still issuing no hang tag kits through 1969? Yes, I've checked the Estes catalogs and the Constellation first appears in 1969, but the Jimid kit packaging and graphics suggest an earlier origin.

Can anyone share insight on this matter. I will continue to build the K35 Constellation no hang tag page assuming 1969 production but feel a bit uncomfortable to justify if challenged.

Thanks

Gerry

I had a Constellation in early fall '68, as it was offered as a premium kit ("free with $xx order"). It was the fourth or fifth kit I ever built. Those kits often had no hang tag.

In the first months of hang tag use, they were often reserved for kits that were going to shops (i.e. no sense in wasting hangtags for kits that were going mail-order, as most kits were back then). Therefore you might get kits in the mail that didn't have hangtags, but the same kits would show up in stores (very few in the late 60's) with the generic yellow hangtag.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Roy and Joe.... I thought it best to capture both your comments on the 1969 K-35 individual kit page as follows; http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/...5_nohangtag.htm

In this manner, folks will not have to search through old forum threads for this insight. Rather we can simply capture on a kit page dedicated to the K35 Constellation with no hang tag packing.

Again thank you for the help.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Roy makes a good point.............I don't remember ever receiving an order for kits that came without hangtags (on the non-gusseted bags) but I do recall seeing such kits in a starter set or two. Roy is correct when he mentions 'wasting'..............Vern was quite frugal and would have had to have a good reason to do so before he would put a hangtag on the top of a kit.

Joe
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Master Modeler

OTOH, away back, when I was ordering from Estes directly, I don't recall ever getting a kit WITH a hang tag. And yes, the Constellation was a free kit initially. I think that's where mine came from. Sadly I only have the lower portion of it any more because of a shock cord failure and the subsequent gentle drifting away of the payload section and parachute.....
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
OTOH, away back, when I was ordering from Estes directly, I don't recall ever getting a kit WITH a hang tag. And yes, the Constellation was a free kit initially. I think that's where mine came from. Sadly I only have the lower portion of it any more because of a shock cord failure and the subsequent gentle drifting away of the payload section and parachute.....

SEMROC has the exact replacement parts for it!

I hate seeing my favorite rocket go to waste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  connies.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  22.9 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
SEMROC has the exact replacement parts for it!

I hate seeing my favorite rocket go to waste.

Beautiful upscales, Gordon!! What did you use for the payload section on the big one? Is that a 2.5"?

S.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Beautiful upscales, Gordon!! What did you use for the payload section on the big one? Is that a 2.5"?

S.

The big one is BT-70 based with a 3 x 24mm cluster mount.

A great way to get rid of 3 Estes E6's!

The clear payload bay is available from Apogee Compnents.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/

It's hard to find. It's listed under "regular body tubes" but under material is's listed as "clear plastic".

I make the nose cone coupler and decal set.

http://sandmandecals.com/