Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Roy,

I thought that, too, but looked it up the other day, and am pretty sure I saw it with "despite". It doesn't make as much sense that way, but lots of old sayings are like that. For example, what does "didn't know whether to $#it or go blind" really mean?

Doug

I once had some guy tell me, "Well, it's six and a half dozen of the other."

I'm pretty sure he got that wrong.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Why would any retailer put a new product line on the shelf and have a computer system that told employees they could not order more if a customer wanted to buy them?

My local Walmart's handling of Estes product over the last three years has been absolutely idiotic.

There is no "big picture" that explains such a stupid "little picture".

Obviously you've never worked for a major corporation. A kid 15 minutes out of college is smarter than a thousand experienced employees,(we wouldn't have hired him otherwise) and the computer program he installed trumps all! If the customers stay away it's they who are wrong - we need to find a more intelligent customer base.

Former Sears employee

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Old Fogey

Default WalMart vs the World

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and again, and again. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is NOT rocket science!
Lose this obsession with buying stuff at WalMart and patronize your locally-owned stores, or if there are none, buy from an online merchant. You've wasted too much time looking for stuff at the big box, and your experience won't change in the future.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.a.duke
Carl@Semroc ran the numbers on how many of each were required for a break even from Barry's comments and I think it was a 100k per kit.

Four per kit per store doesn't seem like enough for the volume required. Perhaps with the new focus and kit types WM is playing it safe and not stocking a large number of each just yet? I don't know how many stores WM has around the country (25,000 stores seems high), but that doesn't seem to fit the math since the kits aren't in every store.

Having said that, I went back to Framingham, MA on Saturday. Taser Twins-gone, Moon Mutt-gone, 2 each of the others. There was a small selection of engines-a couple of A8-3s & a B6-2 and a pair of B4-4s. Not a C6-X anywhere. Don't know if they were sold or that they didn't have any to start.

Cheers,
Jon

From what I understand, WM has 4400 stores in the USA, and, Exxon/Mobil has surpassed them in the first quarter profit for this year for the first time in 5 years.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and again, and again. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Lose this obsession with buying stuff at WalMart and patronize your locally-owned stores, or if there are none, buy from an online merchant. You've wasted too much time looking for stuff at the big box, and your experience won't change in the future.

The concept might be good, if , the little retailer could compete with the prices in WM. It is very unfortunate that WM 'DICTATES" to their suppliers on how much WM is willing to purchase their products, and, if your not willing to bow down to their demands, then, your product doesn't go into WM.

It is also unfortunate that the many local hobby shops are no longer around. When I started into the hobby 45 plus years ago, I dealt with a local hobby shop who, had a huge supply of kits and parts, yes, I did say parts, as well as a huge selection of motors. He gave us discounts and we kept coming back. Unfortunately, after 43 years in the hobby business, the pressure from the big box stores forced him out.

In my opinion, I really don't think many stand alone hobby shops can exist in todays enviroment.

If we could only turn back the clock to a better era in time, but, until a time machine is invented, we have to put up with "stuff" like this.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

Yeah, but you can't get 3 pack motors at the local HS for $.50.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Yeah, but you can't get 3 pack motors at the local HS for $.50.

I often wonder if "we" purchased more items at Wal-Mart at the regular prices, if they might not stock a little better selection and inventory, same thing for Hobby-Lobby and the LHS. I always try to buy something at the stores I visit. I just bought one each of the kits at Wal-Mart, and some A10-3's at $3.00 (discounted) My local Meijer store carry's starter sets, and some motors. I bought some B6-0's there at $5.97, none of the rockets they sold used them. While Wal-Mart is a chain, it is providing employment and paying taxes to your city. I try to "spread the Wealth" to all my area businesses if possible, I still remember my K-Mart being closed due to lack of sales, and I shopped there often.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
advanced rocketeer

Quote:

I agree 100%
Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

I feel the same. I only shop at Wal-Mart when I have to. I do my best to support the local merchants. I've seen to many town squares with half the shops boarded up because of Wal-Mart.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I feel the same. I only shop at Wal-Mart when I have to. I do my best to support the local merchants. I've seen to many town squares with half the shops boarded up because of Wal-Mart.

In some locals, WM is the only option unless you want to travel many miles to go shopping. Down here is SC, there isn't alot to choose from, and, the other medium size outlest charge almost double what WM charges. In these hard economic times, you need to count every nickel and dime .

WM know this, and, they prosper over this, unfortunately, we suffer.