Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Lost at Bong - Wildman Punisher

Lost it today during a level 2 cert attempt.

Bright Cyan airframe, white nose one, orange drogue, bright green main.

Had a GPS signal - last reading was 42.63111, -88.15504 on the way down. Kept getting mired in the swamp looking for it. May try to get out there and take another shot tomorrow after looking at satellite photos for a way in.

Wildman gift certificate in it for anyone that runs across it and returns it.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Mid Power Wannabe

So now my question... Did we have a tracker "frequency board" at the launch today?

I'll bet we had one - and I didn't notice it.

My friend Jon R. recovered his rocket visually 2200 feet west of your coordinates - after getting soaked in the swamp trying to find his rocket (actually your rocket) with his Eggfinder LCD.
Woosh #558
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I definitely forgot to check the board, though I did have my frequency submitted (919Mhz).

I am surprised he got any signal from my rocket. I stopped getting them right around the time it would have touched down (which typically happens with the eggfinder).

Sorry to hear Jon slogged around in the swamp - I spent almost two hours doing the same and it was miserable.

So dumb question: Did Jon find my rocket, or did he just go on a wild goose chase after it's signal?
Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Mid Power Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakes123
I definitely forgot to check the board, though I did have my frequency submitted (919Mhz).

I am surprised he got any signal from my rocket. I stopped getting them right around the time it would have touched down (which typically happens with the eggfinder).

Sorry to hear Jon slogged around in the swamp - I spent almost two hours doing the same and it was miserable.

So dumb question: Did Jon find my rocket, or did he just go on a wild goose chase after it's signal?

As we turned left from the gravel onto the paved park road, he started getting pings on the LCD. I had a pretty good visual on his rocket all the way to the ground, and estimated he would be 500' west of the lookout tower.

Almost immediately he starts saying "closer, closer, STOP, pull over here!" We are 2000 feet short of where I think we should be . He hops out and makes a bee-line for your co-ordinates. (your post above)

Jon was about 400 feet from the road when he suddenly disappears from view. He came back to the car soaked. The water was above his knees. He says - "I need hip waders".

I drive him down the road to where I think we should be and we find his rocket fairly quickly -

He was still getting a signal from your Eggfinder. I think your last co-ordinates are pretty accurate, and you should still be able to find it near there.

That was Jon's L1 cert flight.
Woosh #558
Old 06-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsager
As we turned left from the gravel onto the paved park road, he started getting pings on the LCD. I had a pretty good visual on his rocket all the way to the ground, and estimated he would be 500' west of the lookout tower.

Almost immediately he starts saying "closer, closer, STOP, pull over here!" We are 2000 feet short of where I think we should be . He hops out and makes a bee-line for your co-ordinates. (your post above)

Jon was about 400 feet from the road when he suddenly disappears from view. He came back to the car soaked. The water was above his knees. He says - "I need hip waders".

I drive him down the road to where I think we should be and we find his rocket fairly quickly -

He was still getting a signal from your Eggfinder. I think your last co-ordinates are pretty accurate, and you should still be able to find it near there.

That was Jon's L1 cert flight.

That's almost exactly what happened to me (except for getting a ping). Having been all over that area and then looking at it on a satellite map, Jon and I would have needed a lot more than hip waders to get across to it (more like a canoe).

I tried several times to find a way to those coordinates from different approaches but it the parts that aren't swamp are really thick brush.

Glad he passed his cert!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I went back on Sunday and managed to find a dryish path to the last known location and finally did. Unfortunately the actual location is not at all dry - thigh deep water with heavy plant growth. After a 30 minutes of slogging around in it, I had to decide it was a total loss.

I was able to resist buying a new Punisher on the spot yesterday, but caved in tonight and sent my order. If only Tim would take payment in ticks, which I have found plenty of the past couple days!!