Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM
BP Mafia

Default Estes Ventris

It took a while, but I finally figured out something to ask for for my birthday last week, the Estes Pro Series II Ventris. My wife and I had a trip scheduled up into NE Ohio, wine tasting for her, barn and bridge photography for me. I'd checked out the local Hobby Lobby, armed with the coupon, but all they had was the Leviathan, so I pretty much gave up on the idea until we got back. Luckily I took the coupon with us, because on the trip home on Saturday, Maria found a Hobby Lobby when we were looking for lunch. They had the Ventris, now I have the Ventris. Took me until last night to get started on it.
I've always hated working with epoxy because it always seems to wind up messy. Nothing about this project changed my mind on that account, but things came together nicely. Parts fit together decently, although the nose cone and transition are a bit loose for my tastes. Really, REALLY don't like the absence even rudimentary roll pattern decals. I'll use the Estes decal provided, but I'd rather supply my own parachute than decals. Fins went on nice and straight, so at this point all there is left to do is the shock cord mount. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm going with the tri-fold, mainly because I didn't have a piece of Kevlar stout enough for this project. Not sure about the paint scheme, but I'm thinking. Gonna take a fair amount of paint because this thing is HUGE!!! I had it in my head that this was going to wind up being close to my SLS Lil Hustler in size. Wow! Was I ever way off. Someone mentioned something this weekend about the possibility of a Goblin built in this size. I'd LOVE to see that, and seriously can't wait until the big Red Max shows up at Hobby Lobby. That's just going to have to be WAY cool.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Craftsman

I'd say that 90% of the ventris can be built w/o epoxy. I used epoxy for the tube coupler, forward and aft centering rings, and on the nose transition. JB Weld for the motor retainer, wood glue for everything else. nice kit, although I've had to replace the chute,(original got a hole burnt into it then split), flies nicely on F50-6 & F52-8(drill to 7sec).I think that I'll let someone else fly G motors if they wish...I'll stick to the F's for this one.
rex
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
I think that I'll let someone else fly G motors if they wish...I'll stick to the F's for this one.
rex

Uh, that might be me. I bought an F and G motor last week, both with HL coupons. The price isn't so bad that way. I've also got a couple of Lil Nukes and a Madcow Army Hawk that can take the G motor if I think your way after the F flight.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I have built and flown a Ventris model.

I've made my thoughts known on the decal situation for this kit. One can get a set of Ventris decals from Gordy/Sandman which is what I did.

My flights so far have been with single-use 'F' motors reaching altitudes of 1200-1300 feet per my Altimeter Two.

The model is tall when finished. It's taller than a Semroc/Enerjet (SLS) Hustler. To me the Ventris recalls the MiniMax/Enerjet kit line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  L-R   Hustler (Semroc)  Estes Ventris  Enerjet Aero-Dart (Scratch-Built).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  171.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  L-R   Hustler (Semroc)  Estes Ventris  Aero-Dart (Semroc).jpg
Views: 157
Size:  59.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Different yet same.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.3 KB  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Master Modeler

Both my Ventris and my Leviathan have almost no epoxy in them - on the Ventris just used epoxy to attach the motor retainer, and on the Leviathan that and I potted about an ounce and a half of lead in the tip of the nose cone in epoxy so it would have 1.4 calibers of stability with a CTI baby H three grain motor in it.

All the woodwork/paper work was done with plain ol' Elmers glue, with the Titebond trim and molding glue for external fin fillets (left the aft centering ring out until I could do internal fillets at the motor tube and the inside of the body tube).

The Ventris has been flown on Fs and Gs (including a G88) and the Leviathan has been flown on Fs, Gs and one H (my L1 cert flight). The Ventris has seven flights on it, the Leviathan six so far. Most flights have been with CTI reloads.

White glues are plenty. The tri-fold shock mount works fine. Epoxy only needed where the instructions call for it - attaching the motor retainer to the aft end of the motor tube. And that doesn't need to be JB Weld...regular 15-30 minute epoxy is fine.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Oh Bill....

If you still need some kevlar, drop me a PM with strength and length.

Chas
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I have built and flown a Ventris model.

I've made my thoughts known on the decal situation for this kit. One can get a set of Ventris decals from Gordy/Sandman which is what I did.

My flights so far have been with single-use 'F' motors reaching altitudes of 1200-1300 feet per my Altimeter Two.

The model is tall when finished. It's taller than a Semroc/Enerjet (SLS) Hustler. To me the Ventris recalls the MiniMax/Enerjet kit line.

Nice work! I did THIS variant of the Ventris last summer.

Hence:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0334.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  47.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0335.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  47.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0336.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  48.7 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Bill,

I can throw in some Kevlar with your decal. I have lots.

If you want.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM
BP Mafia

Appreciate the Kevlar offers, but I screwed that pooch early in the process. I got so focused on getting the engine mount in correctly that I had it installed before I ever gave thought to adding the Kevlar. Tuesday is generally Hobby Lobby day for me, so I should have a pretty good idea what kind of paint scheme I'll be going for by this time tomorrow night. It's looking like all is for naught anyway. Our prez rode by the field this past weekend and the corn was still standing. Not thinking it'll be out by Saturday, and we're expecting some serious rain between now and then.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Bill;

Any update on the paint scheme?
YORF #003
SAM #004