Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default New to the Forum and Aggressor Aerospace...Love The Company

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first posting, but I just wanted to state that a recent kit that I just built from Aggressor Aerospace has me hooked back on the hobby.

First, I am career Army and a leader in Cub Scouts. A few weeks ago my son (age 6) attended an event with his Cub Scout Pack and we were able to visit a NASA Space Center and shoot some rockets off. Prior to the event I pulled out my old Estes V-2 that I built three years ago and bought some new D engines for it, found a local hobby shop and picked a few Estes kits and built them with my son. We ended up getting a Mini Honest John (let him design the paint scheme) and a Mini Der Red Max (customized painted that one also). I told myself that I wanted to build me a kit of my own so I went looking for some military themed rockets and off Apogee Rockets found the AGNI-1 Kit so I bought it with some other aftermarket parts.

Review of the Kit (took my time):

BLUF: It came out awesome (at work now, but I will post some pictures later)

Overall: I painted it 90% like the picture in the package. I extensively looked at pictures of the Rocket online and made some minor changes. First, I worked on the nosecone for about a week to make it look like all one piece instead of the three pieces that it took to construct it. CHANGE 1: I ended up painting the tip of the nose cone a Bright red and the rest Black, then putting about 3 coats of gloss enamel clearcoat and went from 400-1500 grit sandpaper to smooth everything out, finally using some polishing compound to get a high scheen on it. With the rest of the body, I used three coats of grey automotive primer and sanded it until everything looked smooth and had to put some wood filler around the stabilizing wings. Instead of a Sand paint, I went with a Tamirya USAF tan Enamel, OD Green, and medium brown (all Satin) and used blue painter's tape to mask the camo patterns. Finally after letting everything dry a day (took me another week to work, not rush the tube), I sprayed two coats of Satin Clearcoat on the Body tube, minus the wing tips, which were still grey primed and taped off. CHANGE 2: I used a bright red to paint the tips of the stabilizing fins (saw a picture online), then sealed those. CHANGE 3: Used Apogee's Plywood engine mounts and put an engine hook in mine. CHANGE 4: I mounted the motor mount about 1/2 inch inside the tube and used a clay epoxy to seal it in the tube. CHANGE 5: I used a Kevlar Shock cord and made it the length of 2.5x longer than the tube and used a nylon 15 inch parachute instead of the Estes 18 inch plastic one. Ended up looking great.

- Instructions: Being as novice as I am, I pulled out my old V-2 instructions as a picture reference and started building the rocket using the Card Stock stencils for the wings, etc. After building the two previous rockets with my son, it got easier (like I said before I didn't rush, overall took me 2.5 weeks to complete, but initially they were a little confusing.

- Look: Rocket is a-typical of normal Estes ones and I like the uniqueness of it as well. The conduits alongside the tube, the short wings, and the nosecone give it a great look. Compared to the photos and schematics that I found online, it is a good scale representation.

-Flight: Well they is to come tomorrow because I am taking my son out shooting them. Little to say because of where I live, I have to drive about 2 hours to do so. I am expecting it to go well. I plan on using a C6-5 for the first day of flight and if everything goes well (I don't lose it or it explodes) I am going to buy some single-use Aerotech D motors for 18mm Rockets.

***What to see in the future:

1) My Active Action Review of the Flight
2) Photos

If everything goes well, my next project will be the the Aggressor Aerospace UNHA-3 (what name and product number to use on its paint scheme for those who have previously built it)?

Would like to hear anyone's comments
Old 08-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmaster1980
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first posting, but I just wanted to state that a recent kit that I just built from Aggressor Aerospace has me hooked back on the hobby.

First, I am career Army and a leader in Cub Scouts. A few weeks ago my son (age 6) attended an event with his Cub Scout Pack and we were able to visit a NASA Space Center and shoot some rockets off. Prior to the event I pulled out my old Estes V-2 that I built three years ago and bought some new D engines for it, found a local hobby shop and picked a few Estes kits and built them with my son. We ended up getting a Mini Honest John (let him design the paint scheme) and a Mini Der Red Max (customized painted that one also). I told myself that I wanted to build me a kit of my own so I went looking for some military themed rockets and off Apogee Rockets found the AGNI-1 Kit so I bought it with some other aftermarket parts.

Review of the Kit (took my time):

BLUF: It came out awesome (at work now, but I will post some pictures later)

Overall: I painted it 90% like the picture in the package. I extensively looked at pictures of the Rocket online and made some minor changes. First, I worked on the nosecone for about a week to make it look like all one piece instead of the three pieces that it took to construct it. CHANGE 1: I ended up painting the tip of the nose cone a Bright red and the rest Black, then putting about 3 coats of gloss enamel clearcoat and went from 400-1500 grit sandpaper to smooth everything out, finally using some polishing compound to get a high scheen on it. With the rest of the body, I used three coats of grey automotive primer and sanded it until everything looked smooth and had to put some wood filler around the stabilizing wings. Instead of a Sand paint, I went with a Tamirya USAF tan Enamel, OD Green, and medium brown (all Satin) and used blue painter's tape to mask the camo patterns. Finally after letting everything dry a day (took me another week to work, not rush the tube), I sprayed two coats of Satin Clearcoat on the Body tube, minus the wing tips, which were still grey primed and taped off. CHANGE 2: I used a bright red to paint the tips of the stabilizing fins (saw a picture online), then sealed those. CHANGE 3: Used Apogee's Plywood engine mounts and put an engine hook in mine. CHANGE 4: I mounted the motor mount about 1/2 inch inside the tube and used a clay epoxy to seal it in the tube. CHANGE 5: I used a Kevlar Shock cord and made it the length of 2.5x longer than the tube and used a nylon 15 inch parachute instead of the Estes 18 inch plastic one. Ended up looking great.

- Instructions: Being as novice as I am, I pulled out my old V-2 instructions as a picture reference and started building the rocket using the Card Stock stencils for the wings, etc. After building the two previous rockets with my son, it got easier (like I said before I didn't rush, overall took me 2.5 weeks to complete, but initially they were a little confusing.

- Look: Rocket is a-typical of normal Estes ones and I like the uniqueness of it as well. The conduits alongside the tube, the short wings, and the nosecone give it a great look. Compared to the photos and schematics that I found online, it is a good scale representation.

-Flight: Well they is to come tomorrow because I am taking my son out shooting them. Little to say because of where I live, I have to drive about 2 hours to do so. I am expecting it to go well. I plan on using a C6-5 for the first day of flight and if everything goes well (I don't lose it or it explodes) I am going to buy some single-use Aerotech D motors for 18mm Rockets.

***What to see in the future:

1) My Active Action Review of the Flight
2) Photos

If everything goes well, my next project will be the the Aggressor Aerospace UNHA-3 (what name and product number to use on its paint scheme for those who have previously built it)?

Would like to hear anyone's comments

Hey, welcome back to a great hobby! Looking forward to any pics you can put up of recent builds and future launches!

Joe
Old 08-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Craftsman

On the UNHA 3 I just used Krylon gloss white and a little Testors brush on blue. It would have looked even better if after a through drying I used Testors matte finish to take off the sheen and protect the decals, but I was too lazy and flew it shiny. I did not put on the rocket nozzle "beads," way too small and time consuming and I was not going to enter it into a scale contest, just a sport flyer. I did put a tad more nose weight in and flew it on E12's, E9s and a composite F24 motors. Not a kit for a beginner but it looks like you can handle it. Drilling out the balsa nose cones is the hardest part and takes some patience. Epoxy in that nose weight and forget about those tiny scale fins!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Having a hard time posting pictures

Thanks for the replies

Could someone explain how to post my pictures? I read the "how to" and my pictures cannot be posted.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmaster1980
Thanks for the replies

Could someone explain how to post my pictures? I read the "how to" and my pictures cannot be posted.

As I recall the system will accept a wide range of file types but puts a restriction on size. With most cameras today the file size is of little consequence and high density photos are the order of the day. I run a Mac and open my photos in Preview and then crop them to reduce the file size below the maximum allowed here. You can also do that with Paint.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default My Rockets

Finally Figured this out. Sorry for the background, but had to photo them before my daughter got them.

From Left to Right: Estes V-2, AGNI-1, Mini Honest John (son designed paint job), Mini Max (made my own paint job), finally my son's first rocket the Taser (Plastic fins kept falling off so I made my own...nothing special with this one).

The V-2 and AGNI-1 both have Kevlar Shock Cord and Nylon chutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rockets 1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  113.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rockets 2.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  99.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rockets 3.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  97.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rockets 4.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  99.1 KB  

Last edited by Jumpmaster1980 : 08-22-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Figuring out how to attach photos