Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default A model we won't be selling

Here's a fun model I will NOT be selling - the North Korean ICBM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  KN ICBM.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  549.9 KB  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default Another fun one...

Here's another one where I went all out. This is the North Korean "Musudan" IRBM, complete with Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL)! Again - probably not going to be a kit unless I can master the "finless" rockets described in one of the Apogee Rocketry newsletters. I can tolerate a few holes in the airframe, but not clear plastic fins. Blech!

The TEL is scratch built from wood and styrene plastic, with wheels and tires stolen from the ARII Scud kits, and a few detail parts borrowed from other kits. The missile cradle can erect, and I used a telescoping antenna for the "hyrdraulic ram." Not pretty enough to grace the pages of "Fine Scale Modeler" magazine, but I think it looks cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Musudan TEL.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  1.39 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Musudan TEL_2.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  1.20 MB  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default One more pic

Front view.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Musudan TEL_3.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  1.04 MB  
Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 PM
BAR

Nice stuff...

What about slide-in rear fin units?? Sorta like Dr. Zooch "Flame fins" but clear plastic instead... removable for display...

I like the NK ICBM... Clear fins or no...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Front view.....

Those are both awesome. It would be nice if the finless rockets would fly well so you could sell them because I would buy those in a heartbeat. I don't know what it is, but the North Korean and Iranian (both have helped each other's missile programs so there are many similarities) really fascinate me.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Here's another one where I went all out. This is the North Korean "Musudan" IRBM, complete with Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL)! Again - probably not going to be a kit unless I can master the "finless" rockets described in one of the Apogee Rocketry newsletters. I can tolerate a few holes in the airframe, but not clear plastic fins. Blech!

The TEL is scratch built from wood and styrene plastic, with wheels and tires stolen from the ARII Scud kits, and a few detail parts borrowed from other kits. The missile cradle can erect, and I used a telescoping antenna for the "hyrdraulic ram." Not pretty enough to grace the pages of "Fine Scale Modeler" magazine, but I think it looks cool.

Go-Go Gas Dynamic Stabilization! Fin less scale ballistic missiles with no fins or even the need for a launch rod. Just a few holes, a recessed motor and your off. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! It works. . . Right?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
Go-Go Gas Dynamic Stabilization! Fin less scale ballistic missiles with no fins or even the need for a launch rod. Just a few holes, a recessed motor and your off. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! It works. . . Right?

That's what the tech report from Apogee says. Has anybody tried it? I definitely will, at some point. The reason the Musudan and NK ICBM won't become kits is the nose cones are a combination of custom parts and hand carving. Maybe a 3-D printed cone would make a viable kit, but no way I'm doing it in balsa!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Junior Rocketeer

You would definitely probably need a 3d printer and that is expensive, but it would be another GREAT One from you.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 AM
BAR

I dunno.. from what I hear, 3D printed stuff needs a LOT of work... great technology, but not quite "there yet" from what I've read...

If you have the prototype cone, why not use it to make a mold and resin cast the cones for the kit?? Dr. Zooch had a guy do some for his run of "Vanguard Eagle" kits that had a complex nose cone/spacecraft shape for his version of the X-prize rocket... They were great...

From what I understand, the guy made the molds, poured in resin, swished it around to get a good, thick, even coating on it, and then poured the resin off, so it's hollow like a blow-molded cone... if you make several rubber or silicone molds, one batch of resin can make multiple cones at one time... if it looks thin, pour in more later and swish it around for a second coat...

Something to think about anyway...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
That's what the tech report from Apogee says. Has anybody tried it? I definitely will, at some point. SNIP

If you dare to go over to that other Forum there are at least three threads going on the GDS subject. This is the one I am trying to fly.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...e-my-only-hope!

Be careful though. Playing with too much bad GDS rocket science over there can get you burned and banned!