Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Master Modeler

The F100 (whatever its real designation) and F7 were around since forever. In fact, the first FSI catalog has the English designations!

The E60 and D20 "loadlifters" were introduced in the late 70s. They were the first black powder motors introduced by FSI in years, and would be the last until the MPC motor machine was revived and FSI began turning out 18mm A-C motors.

The E60 is still shown in the 1993 catalog. It was cato prone.

I can't find evidence of it now, but I recall that the last FSI catalog dropped the F7 and relabeled the F100 as the F80. I think we'll need to find a 1994 catalog for confirmation. I vaguely recall DISCONTINUED printed over the F7 listing.

In any case, the designation change wouldn't have involved resizing the case. The F100 was always around 6" long. The E60 was indeed about 4" long.

Note @ Mark II: The E5 motors pictured above were not like Estes motors. Longer, thicker, different nozzle. I'll make photos of loose motors tonight.

No matter what its designation, the F100 was a GLORIOUS motor. A smoky, loud, kick-in-the-pants that got a model moving. I used to stage them, cluster them. Went through dozens.

I'll have pictures of some of THEM tonight as well.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The F100 (whatever its real designation) and F7 were around since forever. In fact, the first FSI catalog has the English designations!

The E60 and D20 "loadlifters" were introduced in the late 70s. They were the first black powder motors introduced by FSI in years, and would be the last until the MPC motor machine was revived and FSI began turning out 18mm A-C motors.

The E60 is still shown in the 1993 catalog. It was cato prone.

I can't find evidence of it now, but I recall that the last FSI catalog dropped the F7 and relabeled the F100 as the F80. I think we'll need to find a 1994 catalog for confirmation. I vaguely recall DISCONTINUED printed over the F7 listing.

In any case, the designation change wouldn't have involved resizing the case. The F100 was always around 6" long. The E60 was indeed about 4" long.

Note @ Mark II: The E5 motors pictured above were not like Estes motors. Longer, thicker, different nozzle. I'll make photos of loose motors tonight.

No matter what its designation, the F100 was a GLORIOUS motor. A smoky, loud, kick-in-the-pants that got a model moving. I used to stage them, cluster them. Went through dozens.

I'll have pictures of some of THEM tonight as well.

The F-100 was a great motor. They made excellent strapon booster motors for parallel staging. I never had a failure with them. The F7's were nice ones too. The E60's were nothing but CATO bombs. Failed more often than succeeded.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I had about a 60% cato rate with the E60 no matter how they were ignited.
Used to be around a 25% cato rate on the F100 until I switched to igniting them in the middle of the core.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
FSI E60s were and are still the most cato prone motors I ever had the DIS-pleasure of owning/flying; well OVER a 50% cato rate no matter if the igniter was placed top, bottom, or middle of core.

Yes, I recall seeing a great many E60 catos. I personally experienced a fair number of F7 catos.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Master Modeler

Default FSI motor thread

Well, turns out I don't have any F100 motors of any sort left. But there's enough variety to keep taking pictures.

From left to right:
18mm x 70mm Estes motor
24mm x 70mm Estes D12 motor
24mm x 90mm Estes E9 motor
21mm x 95mm FSI D20 motor
27mm x 120mm FSI E60
27mm x 150mm FSI F7-4
27mm x 150mm FSI F7-6

The F100 was the same size as the F7.

Front of instructions. That's an E60 igniter. You can find the directions in the FSI catalogs reprinted on the Ninfinger site.

Rear of directions. Or maybe this is the front. Here you learn how to shape and insert igniters.

Nozzle of D20 motor. This was a core burning middle-range D, introduced the same year (1977) as the E60. Good for getting things moving. I have a half-dozen or so D20-0 left, plugged with epoxy up front. I bought them to use with my Intrepid, which used plugged D20s in the outboard pods. Someday I'll build a similar model to use these up in.

Nozzle of E60 motor. Big! Clearly defined expansion bell. Wide throat. The F100 had an even bigger nozzle.

Nozzle of F7 motor. Kind of beat up.

F7 motor labels, front. 1988 and 1993. The latter was probably one of the last runs of the motor.

F7 motor labels, rear. Note difference in fonts.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Terry,

I think it's both. That is, early on, there was indeed an E60 alongside the F100. (Reference the 77 catalog.) It does not appear in later catalogs. But, as I recall, the F100 was ultimately redesignated. Not sure if it became a latter day E60, or if they called it something else, but that gibes with your story.
The F100 was redesignated as an F80 by NAR in 1997, three years after FSI went out of business.

http://www.nar.org/SandT/releases/R38.html

The listing (p. 21) for the F7 motor in the 1990 FSI catalog at Ninfinger does indeed bear the stamp "OUT OF PRODUCTION." The same listing in the 1993 catalog does not, however.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Master Modeler

I recall talk, on the old rocketry USENET group, of the F7 being reworked. There was a feeling at the time that FSI was starting to "lose it." Quality may have gone downhill after Harold Reese passed away. According to Al Andrake he was the guy who ran the motor press.

Hey, it turns out I have a 1988 FSI catalog! This was the year I got back into the hobby, after getting my first after-college job. ($$$).

Unlike 1986 and 1990, it has funky drawings of the kits.

I'll scan it in someday.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I recall talk, on the old rocketry USENET group, of the F7 being reworked. There was a feeling at the time that FSI was starting to "lose it." Quality may have gone downhill after Harold Reese passed away. According to Al Andrake he was the guy who ran the motor press.

Hey, it turns out I have a 1988 FSI catalog! This was the year I got back into the hobby, after getting my first after-college job. ($$$).

Unlike 1986 and 1990, it has funky drawings of the kits.

I'll scan it in someday.
I thought it was Lonnie Reese who passed away. Something having to do with a motorcycle accident?

I want to see that catalog!
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Stefan,

You should contact Dale Windsor. He may be interested in your photos for his Model Rocket Motor Museum website.

He is a user here. I believe his handle is his name all run together without any spaces.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The awful E6x motors were sometimes below 20 nsec and barely equal in total impulse to the Estes D12. Think of the E6 as a REALLY WEAK version of the weak-thrusting Estes E9.

Loved that phenomenal 5 second burn, though!