Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Bill, some people never even *finish* their scratch build projects, in either sense of the word!

So, both of you have been peeking in the windows of my workshop area, huh?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 PM
slave to the wind

Carl:

anything over 4 inches would be more than usable, but in all honesty I don't really know.

The original concept was to be able to use this wide variety of engines in it and just put a spacer in based on the length of the engine. The MMT is at least 7 inches long (my 6 inch ruler gets lost in there).

I have a Semroc order ready for Payday. I was just hoping someone would chime in with that part number. Really whatever size you have on hand works, and if it is small, I'll just get two.

One other thing Carl or anyone else, is the Semroc quad motor mount in the RockSim (that's getting ordered too)? I have another idea I am working on and want to hash out the idea before I build it.

Weather permitting, launch is Sunday, and we will be trying to video the thing. I currently have 8 in my fleet (Mimi, Guardian2, and NuB-1st are on first flight). Hope to have a good launch report to share.

Thanks to you guys for all of your help. I didn't take too many closeups since I had some paint bleeds under the tape that I was using. They are small but I know they are there.

Next step will be picking an RMS and loads for it. Suggestions are always appreciated.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegod
One other thing Carl or anyone else, is the Semroc quad motor mount in the RockSim (that's getting ordered too)?
Attached are files for Quad mount and Dual mount. There are no sub-assemblies for the parts yet.

If you can get a closer measurement, we can cut it the correct length.
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Semroc-SLS Laser-X-4.rkt (99.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: rkt Semroc-SLS Laser-X-2.rkt (67.3 KB, 59 views)
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 03-21-2006, 01:25 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Some people haven't had time to do ANY building in a long time! The stuff just keeps piling up down here.
I updated my TRF profile to reflect what I bought at NARCON, and I apparently now have more than 40 kits sitting around unbuilt, though I only know for sure where about 20 of them are. It may be time to take inventory again.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM
slave to the wind

Carl:

I think I will just order an 8" tube and cut it here. I tried to measure it but I can't be as precise as I would like. If I take the 8 slip it in and mark where it exits, then I will know for sure. From there I will subtract the length of the longest available engine and put a block in at that depth. From there the tube gets cut into spacers for different length engines. In theory this should be fine (though I am not the original theorist, I think it should fly).

JTHRO: Feel free to farm out any of those kits you want built, I have a little bit more time off my feet and my hands gotta keep doing stuff. I can get around OK if I need to go to the store and get supplies, but I am doing a lot of sitting (reclining) as my ankle heals. Did get a pretty cool desk for free and now have a good reason to set it up. Someone gave me a Drafting Desk. Pretty high end one too. Never been assembled.

1 piece of glass to cover the top (to keep the x-acto from tearing it up). New rocket platform. Then my only problem will be displaying them and carting them to the field without getting them bunged up.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:08 PM
slave to the wind

Flight Report: Nu-B1ST

Temp: 50-55F
Wind: NNW 5-15
Skies: Mostly Cloudy

Launched into the wind at just over 10 from TDC.

Engine used was the Estes D12-5 friction mounted

Flight was straight and true. Chute deployement just after apogee, some small damage to the top tube (dent). Since we had more than a few rockets to fly (and send up yet another toy using the AstroSat LSX) we opted hold off a second launch while the winds were tolerable.

Launched the Mimi with a D12 but did not get the cool whistling that we were looking forward too.

Then the troubles. Gnome went up on 1/2A engine and we lost it in the sky. Another sacrifice to the Rocket Gods. Fireflash went up and the Chute incinerated (not enough or poorly packed wadding). There is a lot of clay in that BT5 top tube so it came down like a spear. The B6 that we used got so hot that the plastic fin assembly melted. SkyWriter's shock cord mount gave way so the nose cone drifted down range but the body came straight down. We only used an A engine so it didn't have too far to fall. However the eraser look body tube looks like it was stepped on. It also is beyond repair.

Guardian2 on C6 had a wonderful flight and recovery without incident. Code Red had a misfire. We never got around to launching it.

AstroSat LSX, what a deal. Got this at Bellville hobby on clearance. The big body tube and room for two "satellites" leave me plenty of room to stuff in one of HannahMonster's little toys on an 8" chute. She was so excited she was dancing around all over the place.

My custom Viking got most of it's fins knocked off as well as I found a good crack in the wing of the Nu-B1ST and a suspicious footprint. Otherwise, transport launch and recovery did not break the wing. The crack is not all the way thru, so I am debating what to do. I may break it off, glue it, then do both wings in MonoKote.

Oh, we also found the remains of HannahMonster's Swift 220. Looks like it was trampled by a herd of wild buffalo. Even the tiny little nosecone was split in 3 places.

Well, that was my Sunday, how was yours?

Last edited by bikegod : 03-26-2006 at 08:12 PM.