Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Quest discontinuing BP model rocket motors, changing to APCP composite

Not a huge surprise, with Aerotech n the mix, but very interesting:

http://rocketn00b.blogspot.com/2016...-quest.html?m=1
TRA 2150 (lapsed)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Craftsman

I was beginning to wonder if Quest has been discontinued altogether. No new kits in forever, and existing kits are becoming rare.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Unless Aerotech decides to mass produce 18mm APCP motors in the Quest name, Quest as we know it will soon cease to exist.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

And unless those 18mm motors are a LOT closer in price to an Estes 3-pak, they will ONLY sell to a niche market via online sales. LHS, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels won't dedicate shelf space unless they turnover at a decent rate. That's why Hobby Lobby and Michaels dumped Quest and Aerotech many years ago.
DUMBBBBBBBB MOVE.

And to the fecal-minded that suggests I should 'chill', I once had a trainee/rookie/newbie/probie engineer under me for training/supervision fresh out of college that was foolish enough to tell me to 'chill out' when I was pointing out proper change procedures that could NOT be violated. That SEALED his fate. I left him to sink in his all-encompassing knowledge and washed him out. I am the LAST person to piss off in the workplace if you ever need anything from me.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
And unless those 18mm motors are a LOT closer in price to an Estes 3-pak, they will ONLY sell to a niche market via online sales. LHS, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels won't dedicate shelf space unless they turnover at a decent rate. That's why Hobby Lobby and Michaels dumped Quest and Aerotech many years ago.
DUMBBBBBBBB MOVE.

And to the fecal-minded that suggests I should 'chill', I once had a trainee/rookie/newbie/probie engineer under me for training/supervision fresh out of college that was foolish enough to tell me to 'chill out' when I was pointing out proper change procedures that could NOT be violated. That SEALED his fate. I left him to sink in his all-encompassing knowledge and washed him out. I am the LAST person to piss off in the workplace if you ever need anything from me.

Actually, I agree here - it is ALL about the mighty dollar. And you are right in that HL & Michaels won't carry them if they are too expensive - look at how HL got burned on the Estes composite motors a few years ago. They only sold when discounted. I would further argue that many mom & pop hobby shops as well as Hobby Towns won't carry them in stock if they are very expensive either. Again - it is a matter of economics - you gotta turn your inventory over in a reasonable time to stay in business. They'll probably order them for you IF their distibutors carry them, but I doubt they will give them any hang space. After all, they already KNOW the Estes BP motors sell.

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!