Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Default X-24 Bug Success!

A few nights back I put together a Centuri X-24 Bug from the scans on JimZs:
http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/centuri/ka-12.pdf

The printed 110 lb. cardstock was clear coated then beefed up a bit more with some brushed on Future clear acrylic.
Enlarge the picture and you'll see clear Scotch tape over the folded fin edges.
The conical nose cone is from Estes, the same plastic nose cone in the Yankee kit.
The engine mount tube is a Centuri style ST-7 to better fit the top hole of the shroud.
After many test "glides" I ended up with a quarter ounce of clay pressed into the back of the shroud.

First flight was at the May 14 N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, FL.
A Estes B6-2 was used. The launch lug isn't glued parallel to the engine, boost was off vertical towards the mid power pads.
At ejection it turned over and stabilized into a lifting body "glide". A little nose down but much better than any of my Quest HL-20 flights. I never got a glide out of the HL-20.
I had an original Centuri X-24 Bug in 1973. I never got a glide out of that one either.

It needs a little more clay to bring up the nose for a more horizontal descent.
A good surprise and success!

I've got to check back on the nefar.net website to see if Jimmy got video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NEFAR B -May 14 -2016-Centuri X-24 Bug.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  431.2 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Looks really nice. I'd like to try one out. And I happen to have 110 lb. card stock. Not sure if I have that cone, but I do have a lathe, and have turned a lot of custom cones over the years. Although I know it's not required, I do have a question on using Future, which I've never tried. Does it flow out pretty well when brushed on?

I didn't check out the video yet but May check out the website you mention.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Looks really nice. I'd like to try one out. And I happen to have 110 lb. card stock. Not sure if I have that cone, but I do have a lathe, and have turned a lot of custom cones over the years. Although I know it's not required, I do have a question on using Future, which I've never tried. Does it flow out pretty well when brushed on?
I didn't check out the video yet but May check out the website you mention.

The X-24 Bug build will be up next on my build blog when I finish up the Arapaho/Kokopelli.
After printing off the shroud and fins the fin positions were masked off and the sheets got two coats of Keylon clear spray to seal the ink.
I felt it was still too weak so then I brushed on the Future clear acrylic. I usually dip the brush, wipe off some of the excess then brush on the printed cardstock. For me, if it is applied too thick the Future runs like water.
Future (like anything else) takes a few tries to get a feel for it. On the X-24 Bug I brushed it on before gluing it together.
The videos (if they were recorded) haven't been posted yet. They usually go up a few days after a NEFAR launch.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:58 AM
Master Modeler

My original X-24 was my favorite rocket ! I flew it until there was literally nothing left - it kind of caught fire on its last flight. My Squirrel Works X-RV has yet to fly successfully. How 9 year old me got that X-24 built exactly right is still a wonder, it flew perfect first flight to last!
Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
The X-24 Bug build will be up next on mbuildy build blog when I finish up the Arapaho/Kokopelli.

Chris, looking forward to your X-24 Bug build. Would it be possible to have a spot for all the recolor X-24 here, that has been done on YORF, to be transfer to your site so they all are in one spot? Also could we add new recolor X-24 Bug, and Quest HL-20 to that spot also?

Thanks for your hard work, and bring so meany rockets to are attention.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
The X-24 Bug build will be up next on my build blog when I finish up the Arapaho/Kokopelli.
After printing off the shroud and fins the fin positions were masked off and the sheets got two coats of Keylon clear spray to seal the ink.
I felt it was still too weak so then I brushed on the Future clear acrylic. I usually dip the brush, wipe off some of the excess then brush on the printed cardstock. For me, if it is applied too thick the Future runs like water.
Future (like anything else) takes a few tries to get a feel for it. On the X-24 Bug I brushed it on before gluing it together.
The videos (if they were recorded) haven't been posted yet. They usually go up a few days after a NEFAR launch.

Thanks Chris, for the clarification. I'll be watching your blog for the build info. Its not like I do not have a ton of rocketry and home projects, but this one has certainly piqued my interest.

I keep forgetting to look for Future every time we go to grocery store or Walmart. I may just test it out on an old 3FNC to get the hang of it.

Scot650 -- I can relate to your childhood expertise. I had great success with the Astron Invader glider as a kid, but nothing but rotten luck getting new Invader builds to glide well as an adult.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

Scot650 -- I can relate to your childhood expertise. I had great success with the Astron Invader glider as a kid, but nothing but rotten luck getting new Invader builds to glide well as an adult.

It's because you don't believe!

Remember Peter Pan!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I had great success with the Astron Invader glider as a kid, but nothing but rotten luck getting new Invader builds to glide well as an adult.

I got my first one to fly pretty well, but every one since then, including the BMS ones, have come nowhere close to the same performance.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
It's because you don't believe!

Remember Peter Pan!

Oh, I believed! Heck, I am an adult. My superior builds at my advanced age will guarantee perfectly balanced gliders with minimal trimming required. Something else was wrong. Probably a motor with a poorly molded nozzle that caused an odd boost.

That's got to be the reason!

Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I got my first one to fly pretty well, but every one since then, including the BMS ones, have come nowhere close to the same performance.

I didn't realize BMS sold them. I just pulled a BMS Mars Snooper and Bomarc out of storage. I now have a big tote of things I really want to build this year. And if it every quits raining here, I even have a few new rockets I could paint, and maybe even fly.

The April launch in Denver had snow, so I wimped out. And the May launch was supposed to be on first Sunday, but was on May 8 (Mothers Day) by mistake. I was voted down on attending ...