Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2015, 09:07 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave
when a number of the armchair experts all strained their arms while patting each other on the back. They were all so busy posting the typical "I did it, and got away with it, so it MUST work!" kinda stuff. I had posted a bit of cautionary warning, based on actual physics, which they were all attempting to urinate upon.

The capper was when one of them posted an SAWE technical report. SAWE is Society of Allied Weight Engineers. As in, the exact same bunch that I worked with for 30+ years as an advanced design mass properties aerospace engineer at a couple of major aerospace companies. As in the exact same kind of control surface mass-balancing that I have run into many times. And the report they posted, and claimed that it said what they wanted, instead actually pointed specifically to the scientific principle that I had originally highlighted. But they couldn't read the report.

You can lead a horse to water.....or a horse's posterior.....

My opinion of the current TRF: it has been largely taken over by JoeBobs ("hey, hold my beer and watch THIS!") who are trying to one-up each other, launching bigger and bigger fireworks motors, with little or no actual knowledge of aero, thermo, physics, or much else. I am pretty much done with trying to educate anyone over there, have better things to do with my time.

I can agree with that statement-- have seen as much myself...

I would also say that IMHO your description of the typical TRF "Joebobs" is mostly what I've observed in the vast majority of the HPR set... "bigger is better", "do you know how much this cost", and "hold my beer and watch this" type stuff I've seen to be very common at HPR launches... and the prevailing mindset seems to be "build it like an anti-tank round; you can always cram a bigger motor in it!" Like that's something to be proud of... (shaking my head).

Later! OL JR
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
I was banned for trying to sell some of my private OOP kits in the yard sale area. Since Im a vendor I have to pay the extortion fee to sell anywhere on their POS site.

The "person" who runs the place is an ass and doesn't have hair one on his nut sack to answer an email. And im not going to mention any names but a few of the moderators over there suffer from a bad case of "Rectal Cranium Inversion"

They better pray The Rathole Forum doesn't die, they will lose their magic power and be subject to a huge case of Karma is a bitch on other forums.
I have been criticized on every forum I have ever attended for suggesting such things are happening at all. They were. This post only reinforces my belief it is universal. As is my banning from forums generally.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I have been criticized on every forum I have ever attended for suggesting such things are happening at all. They were. This post only reinforces my belief it is universal. As is my banning from forums generally.

Yeah, Jerry - to quote a line from the musical "1776": "You're obnoxious and disliked, you know that's so!"

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:47 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Many over there need a SERIOUS literal case of MULTIPLE BYTCH-SCHLAPPINS !
Sometimes the ONLY way to adjust the attitude of certain individuals is through an actual AZZ-KIKKIN' !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !