Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Religion Free thank you!

Default Amazing...

I've been going thru the designs here and on the blog. That is quite a body of work. Hard to believe 100's were flown. You all must be some prolific builders!
Can I ask have most of the really exotics been built and flown? The Andromeda's and all the various trident like ships. Even if you take the designs in the proven category that is some amount of building. Where are all those build threads? You'd figure dozens of those designs are worth building (more really). I am surprised they just languish out there.

Kim's Rocketeer. God I miss you honey!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01
I've been going thru the designs here and on the blog. That is quite a body of work. Hard to believe 100's were flown. You all must be some prolific builders!
Can I ask have most of the really exotics been built and flown? The Andromeda's and all the various trident like ships. Even if you take the designs in the proven category that is some amount of building. Where are all those build threads? You'd figure dozens of those designs are worth building (more really). I am surprised they just languish out there.

To be honest, I really don't know how many of these designs have been built. There are over 800 designs in this area of the forum, after all. I've personally built between two and three dozen of them, and I know of a few others; but I don't have much feedback on how many have been started.

Nearly all of these designs have been "computer flown" with RockSim in some fashion or other, so they "should" fly "in the wild". Note I said "should". YMMV. Several of them seriously need having prototypes built to be sure of their ability to meet expectations, or to show where and how they don't. RockSim is good, and we generally trust it, but it can give us erroneous results for some of the more exotic designs.

The Andromeda design has been flown in at least three iterations. I've built two prototypes and I know of at least one other that has flown at a meet. All three birds fly well on "B" power, but tend to get a bit screwy on "C" power. It's one of my favorite concept ships with those "open frame fins".

To my knowledge, none of those "Trident Derivatives" have been built; not by me, anyway. The gas ducting issue is still an issue with these, just as it was with the Estes originals.

Night SHADO has been built and needs priming and glider trimming for flight tests. Time has not been a friend in getting it finished.

My personal "next project" in the list is the Foxhound, which I want to work on before the end of the year. I wish I could afford to build them all; it would be an impressive collection!

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Religion Free thank you!

[SIZE=3]Still it's quite amazing that so few of these seem to get built. There are literally dozens and dozens of REALLY interesting designs.

And as I mentioned, it's amazing that more people aren't building these and posting either build logs or at least pictures and launch reports. There are some really innovative and exotic designs as well as some nice classic lines. Perhaps it's just not that the Barclone catalog is not very well known.

I know I have found more designs that I can possible build. But I am certainly going to try a few in the future. So I may have a few questions.

One thing I would like is a zip file of all the designs.

Kim's Rocketeer. God I miss you honey!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01
...One thing I would like is a zip file of all the designs...

You and me both...

One problem is with some of those exotic designs, they're "not ready for prime time". You will find several variations of a few scattered through nearly seven years worth of threads. I've had trouble myself keeping track of them all. Is it any wonder why I never got around to making up a complete catalog?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Forest Sprite

The Design forum is one of the really unique but under-appreciated features of YORF. You won't see such a dense concentration of original designs in any other forum. It is one of the great undiscovered mother lodes of gold here.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011