Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Master Modeler

I flew all three kits at NSL. I'd have flown the booster, too, but I goofed putting it together and it wasn't going to work (thanks to Carl for helping me puzzle out where I'd made the mistake).

The Starship Excalibur and the Centurion-F only each got flown once. I flew the Starship Excalibur only onced because it was pretty windy and I didn't want to risk damage on rough recoveries (hard dry desert to land on) more than once - though the one flight was just fine. The Centurion-F spit the 24mm mount and shredded two shroud lines (though it was a pretty boost to 1072 feet - on an E12-6). Since there were no 29mm Es, just Fs, available for sampling I decided not to risk it.

The Maxi Micron, on the other hand, got six flights at NSL on Estes C6-5s, Aerotech D10-5s and one on a D21-7. Since then (and even though it's now sporting Carl's signature) it's been up twice more on an Estes and a Quest B6-4 (this in a school yard). I like it. I did put an ST-18 baffle in it so as to not use bunches of wadding.

I'll be building another Booster-18 - hopefully correctly - and then get to see how staging this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1478.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  74.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1479.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  63.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1481.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  59.0 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 06-15-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Master Modeler

I FINALLY got to fly the Booster-18/Maxi Micron combo at the WAC "Tax Relief" launch yesterday. This is a second Maxi Micron. The one with Carl's signature on it is up on a high shelf alongside a Big Bertha carrying Vern's signature.

The booster/Maxi-Micron pair worked just beautifully C6-0 to C6-5. It has a really cool look going up with that seemingly huge exhaust nozzle that is really the booster on it....until it stages.

All in all very satisfying. I hope Carl was able to watch it from where he is now....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Master Modeler

I've flown the booster / maxi-micron several times. It does OK on B to B flights; a nice way to demonstrate staging in small fields.

Someone with an unbuilt booster should scan and inventory it!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM