Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Spray paint problem...

I am a beginner at spray painting and I forgot to wear gloves, mask, and I painted a very thick coat of paint on my rocket, now it looks like orange skin. Does any body now how to remove the paint from rockets?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcoppell
I am a beginner at spray painting and I forgot to wear gloves, mask, and I painted a very thick coat of paint on my rocket, now it looks like orange skin. Does any body now how to remove the paint from rockets?

I would let the paint dry completely. This could take a few weeks since you said you have a very thick coat of paint and depending on how humid the area is where you are located. Some of the orange skin may go away as the solvents evaporate from the paint and the paint will shrink a little but it's best to just be patient and let it dry completely and then try to sand it smooth. If you don't let it dry completely you'll only gum up the sandpaper and make a mess.

I'd recommend this over a paint remover. Paint removers (depending on what type you use) have harsh chemicals in them that can harm plastics and depending on what adhesives you used for your build could react with the adhesive bond.

Leave it in the garage or if the weather is good put it outside in the yard each day to dry a little more until you don't smell any paint solvents like the paint is still wet. Then try to sand.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

If you're trying to remove enamel from a polystyrene or other plastic part, you can submerge it for several hours or overnight in Simple Green or other citrus-based cleaner. Then rub off the old paint with your finger or an old toothbrush. When the paint is off, rinse the part thoroughly with soapy water. DO NOT allow the Simple Green to dry on the part.

I usually wait a few days, rinse again with soapy water, rinse clear and then repaint.

For paper and balsa -- I agree with the previous post: leave the rocket in as much direct sunlight and heat as possible for a few weeks until the paint cures; maybe as much as a month if the paint was gloss.

Then you can either reprime over the old paint with high-build primer (heavy) or start sanding.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Old BAR

Wet sanding with 280 then 400 grits works quite well, as long as the paint is dry. Get a container of water, wet the paper and sand. Don't overdo the water for obvious reasons; you don't need much. Use enough to get the paper good and wet, get the surface dampened, and be sure to rinse the sandpaper in your cup frequently. The water serves to help keep the grain in the paper from building up dried paint. One piece can often do a whole rocket, if its not too large.
Allen