Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Master Modeler

Default Dremel Tool Questions

I'm curious as to what type (model) of Dremel Tool you rocket builders use and why. Or, do you recommend another brand of tool that has the same applications? What are some mandatory and/or handy accessories for the hobby?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying one and I'd rather not get one and then find out another model has more desirable or essential features. I'm looking at cost and value. Your input and advice is appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Rocket Dad

I have an older Craftsman variable speed, Model #572.610950. It just so happened to be sitting right next to me. It's my understanding all Dremel brand accessories fit this model but I cannot speak for the newer ones. It's been a good tool for me. I've used the absolute snot out of it for projects it was really not intended for but did not have enough air (big enough compressor) at the time to power the necessary air tools.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

All of the 110v corded VARIABLE speed tools by Dremel are quite good.
Don't buy a two-speed or single speed. You WILL need the variability.
Don't buy any off-brand unless you can verify it was produced by Dremel; they used to produce the Craftsman ones for Sears but do not know if they still do.
All the old Dremels are still serviced for parts such as motor brushes, etc.
Most cheap brands are throw em out if anything goes wrong.

Not sure about the most recent cordless ones...the older ones were woefully inadequate, but that was ten years ago.
Rarely have ever needed a Dremel where no 110 power is available.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Rocket Dad

I believe you are correct in that the older craftsman were made by Dremel or exact duplicates for sears. I can also replace the brushes on mine. A very nice feature for when they wear out.

The circle cutters work great for centering rings, btw.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Odd Rocs

Dremel tools are great for a wide variety of rocket functions. Buy a cordless model and you'll be able to use it at a launch field. The battery charges quickly and holds a charge extremely well. You won't notice any slow-down while the chage gets low. I've never regretted buying one.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I have a Dremel and a Black and Decker variable speed.

My only complaint is the lowest speed on both units is still to fast.

On hardwood dowels you have to be very gentle or it burns the wood with the drum sander bit.

And for styrene plastic still way way too fast!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Master Modeler

Ditto sandman on the plastic. I use a cordless that was originally marketed to golfers. It turns slow enough to allow the abrasive to work without melting. As for routine duties I have an old 7.2V NiCad MultiPro and a cordless 10.8V Lion variable speed. Corded will give you the torque but when do we really need a lot of torque? Fine control is essential so the variable speed is pretty much the route. New models with Lithium chemistry batteries and also provide longer life between charging but are more sensitive to heat build-up while charging..
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
snip... My only complaint is the lowest speed on both units is still to fast.

On hardwood dowels you have to be very gentle or it burns the wood with the drum sander bit.

And for styrene plastic still way way too fast!

That is a concern of mine as well. The one I borrowed had two speeds and I wanted it to be able to go a bit slower. A variable speed may be the ticket, but how slow will it go?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Master Modeler

Check for around 3500-5000 RPM on the bottom end for most'handheld cordless models. The second option is a foot pedal rheostat and a corded variable speed. I have heard 150 to 200 RPM, but that is not good for the brushes.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Master Modeler

The cordless one that uses four AA cells (sold in green to clean golf clubs and in different color cases in either pet nail trimming or pumpkin carving kits) is actually the one I reach for the most even though I have a variable speed corded model I've had for pushing 30 years now. The little one is slow enough for light balsa and plastic and not at all cumbersome. And who doesn't have AA cells around when you need 'em?

When I need to do some plywood work or cut music wire or something, the corded one gets used....or if I had a big project that would take a bunch of time. But for a quick job like enlarging the hole in a centering ring to take a Quest 20mm D motor mount tube instead of a BT-20, the little battery-operated one is ideal.

The similar cordless MiniMite uses a NiCd or NiMH pack and the downfall there is that the charger is so stupid that if you forget and leave the battery on overnight it gets damaged by overcharging. So I'd avoid that one.

I haven't tried a lithium-chemistry cordless Dremel yet. I expect the very-low-self-discharge characteristic of lithium batteries would really improve the tool's usability in the long run.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE