Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,129
Default New Project

For my next trick I will attempt to turn the bottom half of a NCR Corporal purchased on ebay
in to a NCR Orbit. The Aerofoam (TM) nose cone is in fine shape, and I have a BMS T88-34 BT
that is an exact replacement for the NCR BT-18. All I need is a 29mm motor mount to fit and I'll
be in business. The Orbit was one of my favorite flyers on the Vulcan E55 and E60
motors. Below is the ebay listing and page from the '87 NCR catalogue. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR_Corporal_ebay.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  351.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR_87-Cat_Corporal-Orbit.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  171.7 KB  
__________________
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 08-17-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 AM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
For my next trick I will attempt to turn the bottom half of a NCR Corporal purchased on ebay
in to a NCR Orbit. The Aerofoam (TM) nose cone is in fine shape, and I have a BMS T88-34 BT
that is an exact replacement for the NCR BT-18. All I need is a 29mm motor mount to fit and I'll
be in business. The Orbit was one of my favorite flyers on the Vulcan E55 and E60 motors. Below is the ebay listing and page from the '87 NCR catalogue. More to follow.


(21 Months later) Cooking right along: The fins are cut out, 1 of them is air-foiled, the holes are drilled along the fin markings for the epoxy rivets and the motor mount is assembled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR-Orbit_clone.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  240.4 KB  
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM
stefanj stefanj is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,594
Default

I can't say I miss those foam nose cones, but it is neat seeing one again! I got a lot of mileage out of my NCR kits in the late 80s / early 90s.

(I had a Corporal; flew it on an F10 back on Long Island. Lost!)
__________________
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2019, 10:26 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,201
Default

The way this one is moving along it may be flight ready by around 2025
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:00 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The way this one is moving along it may be flight ready by around 2025


Just in time for my 70íth birthday!
__________________
SAM #0031
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:42 PM
SEL's Avatar
SEL SEL is offline
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I can't say I miss those foam nose cones, but it is neat seeing one again! I got a lot of mileage out of my NCR kits in the late 80s / early 90s.

(I had a Corporal; flew it on an F10 back on Long Island. Lost!)



I've had good luck with the nose cones - occasionally a few bubbles along the shoulder, but they've filled in nicely. Never had any issues with primer/paint adhesion. The only real problem I've had with them is non-sandability; on a couple of flights with the Mini-Katana, I've managed to stick the cone onto the fins at ejection. This expanded the shoulder enough that it won't fit into the BT, and I had to peel and sand the inside of the tube to re-fit the cone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MiniKatana_crop.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  398.5 KB  
__________________
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 05-19-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2019, 03:34 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,201
Default

Those cones are FUGLY.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2019, 06:29 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
(21 Months later) Cooking right along: The fins are cut out, 1 of them is air-foiled, the holes are drilled along the fin markings for the epoxy rivets and the motor mount is assembled.


I hate to say it's 'nice' to see that projects can drag on longer than we plan sometimes, but it does make me feel a little less guilty about some of mine (I have one that the booster has been in primer for five years... ).

It had been a while since I had seen one of the foam NCR nosecones...thanks for posting the 'history' image.


Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2019