Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 AM
7/21/61

Default Incredibly Obscure Rocket Reference in Vikings

I don't know if anyone else is watching History Channel's "Vikings", but tonight there was a reference to the historical basis for the name of a G. Harry Stine rocket. Anyone else catch it?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I don't know if anyone else is watching History Channel's "Vikings", but tonight there was a reference to the historical basis for the name of a G. Harry Stine rocket. Anyone else catch it?

I'm RECORDING Vikings so I don't have to sit through commercials...

The DVR... best thing since sliced bread! OL JR
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Master Modeler

I watched the episode but was unable to catch the reference.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

I watched it too. Totally missed it. Clue us in please.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Apollo Nut

There was a reference made to the obscure Viking splinter group known as the Aerobees.

No? Different show maybe....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

Yup. I totally missed it. Huh.

I like the show. Pretty good so far.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 PM
7/21/61

Princess Aslaug says it. Her father, Sigund, killed the dragon Fafnir. She prophecizes her unborn son with Ragnar will have the serpent/dragon eyes of Fafnir.

From Stine's novella "And a Star To Steer Her By," published in Astounding Science Fiction June 1953. The Fafnir was the spacship of the protagonist, Rod Garver. Same ship and protagonist reappear in Stine's first novel, Starship Through Space. The Fafnir is pictured on the cover of the issue in which the novella appared (pic below).

Fafnir was a fire-breathing dragon who came to a sorrowful end, hence the name of the beat up beast of a spaceship.

Now the real question, was G. Harry (who was just way more literate than the rest of us) into Norse mythology or German opera? Wagner's Ring Cycle (Der Ring des Nibelungen) was loosely based on the same characters.

By the way, Jack Hagerty's "Spaceship Handbook" has a great description and drawings of the Fafnir, as well a a short blurb denoting the correct Norse mythology basis for the spaceship's name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Fafnir_01.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  40.0 KB  
Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 PM
BAR

Hmmm....

I've used Fafnir ball bearings on my hay baler... MUCH better quality than the Chinese ball bearings that have flooded the market...

Come to think of it, the Eighth Air Force bombed the ball bearing factory at Schweinfurt in 1944...

Maybe the producers were making obscure references to the bombing of the ball bearing plant or their usefulness on hay balers?? LOL

Maybe it was ALIENS... LOL

Sorry, being a bit of a smart@ss but it seems pretty thin to me...

Your best bet would probably be to ask Bill Stine if his dad was into Norse mythology...

As for the show, I just wish I could understand what they were saying more clearly... Guess it's hard for folks with a Texas accent to understand Viking accents... especially when they speak fast and softly... I'm a fan of the John Wayne method... "talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I'm a fan of the John Wayne method... "talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"... LOL

You would be!!!! Especially after our comments on long posts and ADD/ADHD on the other thread!

My knowledge of Norse mythology literature is limited to Thor and Valkyrie in the Marvel comic books I read at the comic book rack while waiting for my mom to finish grocery shopping.

Oh...and Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!

Isn't that called Ride of the Valkyries? I was doing geology homework through most of music appreciation in college.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:12 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You would be!!!! Especially after our comments on long posts and ADD/ADHD on the other thread!

My knowledge of Norse mythology literature is limited to Thor and Valkyrie in the Marvel comic books I read at the comic book rack while waiting for my mom to finish grocery shopping.

Oh...and Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!

Isn't that called Ride of the Valkyries? I was doing geology homework through most of music appreciation in college.

Ah, yes... Herr Vagner... (Wagner)... Hitler's favorite composer... LOL

Yep, "Kill de Wabbit" is "Ride of the Valkyries"... I never took music appreciation... for that matter I only took music in fifth grade, and had a 90 year old black woman teacher who talked------- really------ really------ REEALLLLYYYY------- SLOWLYYY-------- and---- was---- very----- very------ VERY------ easily------ and----- OFTEN------ confused------

We were supposed to learn how to read music in that class in preparation for band.... wanna take any guesses how THAT went?? I learned two things... that curly-cue thing is called a "treble clef"... and that little "c" looking thing ISN'T...

The rest of the time I spent drawing farm equipment, spaceships, and the internal working parts of nuclear weapons...

Now I KNOW civilization is regressing... back in the 50's we had "Kill the Wabbit" to slip culture and music into kid's minds through the side door... NOW all we have is SpongeBob coming in the back door...

Later! OL JR