Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2016, 02:03 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Default Centuri Star Trooper

This is my third completed BAR-build....

The Star Trooper is constructed according to the original Centuri Engineering kit plans / instructions. This model is built to the long-tube version option, with the body tube (Estes BT-5) fashioned from a single length, rather than two-piece as shown in the plans.

The recovery system also deviates from the plans in that it uses a standard forward shock cord mount and front deployment of the streamer.

The nose cone used is an Estes PNC-5A from the company’s current PNC-5 nose cone pack. Initially plans called for turning a balsa nose cone for this model, but it was found that the PNC-5A was a mere 1/8 inch shorter than the original kit nose cone, so that was deemed ‘close enough’.
The current Estes re-make of the Star Trooper uses an even shorter nose cone.

Because the Star Trooper is intended to be used for sport flying, the fins were not air-foiled to high-performance specs, rather they were finished with leading and trailing edges rounded.
The model also carries a small amount of clay weight in the tip of the nose cone to provide a little bit more momentum during flight coasting phase.

The classic yellow and green color scheme was chosen for this model, even though some rocketeers point out that it looks too ‘John Deere-esque’. The chrome trim and white roll pattern help to somewhat alleviate that issue.

No attempt was made to duplicate the decals of the original kit, as they are small and somewhat complex. At this time, I don't have access to the proper printing equipment to make exact copy decals.

Hope to have this one 'displacing some air' within the next week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20160822_125018.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  695.0 KB  

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
This is my third completed BAR-build....

The Star Trooper is constructed according to the original Centuri Engineering kit plans / instructions. This model is built to the long-tube version option, with the body tube (Estes BT-5) fashioned from a single length, rather than two-piece as shown in the plans.

The recovery system also deviates from the plans in that it uses a standard forward shock cord mount and front deployment of the streamer.

The nose cone used is an Estes PNC-5A from the company’s current PNC-5 nose cone pack. Initially plans called for turning a balsa nose cone for this model, but it was found that the PNC-5A was a mere 1/8 inch shorter than the original kit nose cone, so that was deemed ‘close enough’.
The current Estes re-make of the Star Trooper uses an even shorter nose cone.

Because the Star Trooper is intended to be used for sport flying, the fins were not air-foiled to high-performance specs, rather they were finished with leading and trailing edges rounded.
The model also carries a small amount of clay weight in the tip of the nose cone to provide a little bit more momentum during flight coasting phase.

The classic yellow and green color scheme was chosen for this model, even though some rocketeers point out that it looks too ‘John Deere-esque’. The chrome trim and white roll pattern help to somewhat alleviate that issue.

No attempt was made to duplicate the decals of the original kit, as they are small and somewhat complex. At this time, I don't have access to the proper printing equipment to make exact copy decals.

Hope to have this one 'displacing some air' within the next week or so.

I have that decal for the Centuri kit already printed, there are two sets included, one yellow and one metallic gold. Both sets are included.

If you're interested just send me a PM.

$4.00 plus $1.00 shipping

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Oops! Sorry, sandman, I forgot all about you!!!!
The model already has been coated with gloss sauce (Pledge/Future/Simple Green), but I have some other builds on the docket that I just might use your decal services for.
I'll get in touch when I know more.
Thanks for the reply!

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Oops! Sorry, sandman, I forgot all about you!!!!
The model already has been coated with gloss sauce (Pledge/Future/Simple Green), but I have some other builds on the docket that I just might use your decal services for.
I'll get in touch when I know more.
Thanks for the reply!

Oh, no problem, I'm sure somebody will want them.

I'll have to do some digging but I think I have some of the fiber fins for Dart Trooper...someplace.

I did find some of the "Bonus Metallic spec plates" for the Star Trooper if anybody wants them.

http://sandmandecals.com/

Last edited by sandman : 08-22-2016 at 04:08 PM.