Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Advanced Rocketeer...of sorts. :)

Default Upscale LTV Scout

Don't know how many LTV Scout fans there are out there but I personally like the rocket. I recently built a BT-80 version (scale 1:15) and flew it this weekend. It's not painted yet but I hope to finish it and decal it sometime soon.

I also built an "LTV Goon" with 18mm mount. I flew it this weekend on a range of motors including some 13mm stuffed in empty casings as well as a CHAD stage flight A10-0T to A10-3T. Stable during all flights...it was very cool.

Moe, Arizona
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  scout_emrr.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  92.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ltvgoon_emrr.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  89.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ltvgoonchad_emrr.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  98.4 KB  
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromoe
Don't know how many LTV Scout fans there are out there but I personally like the rocket. I recently built a BT-80 version (scale 1:15) and flew it this weekend. It's not painted yet but I hope to finish it and decal it sometime soon.

I also built an "LTV Goon" with 18mm mount. I flew it this weekend on a range of motors including some 13mm stuffed in empty casings as well as a CHAD stage flight A10-0T to A10-3T. Stable during all flights...it was very cool.

Moe, Arizona

I have three kits (one "new-in-bag", one opened one I bought in Canada 20 years ago, and one Roachwerks kit), and one built model (with an unfortunately warped lower tube, and missing fin tips).

I like the LTV Goon. Looks like a new use for the Mars Lander nose cone!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Are you interested in selling one of them ?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Are you interested in selling one of them ?

Not a chance!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:

Moe, Arizona

Moe, I'm a big fan I love scale, especially a scale model with real fins! What modeller wouldn't love that.

Although I have to admit my LTV kit was just not that popular.

People either love the LTV Scout or hate it.

Your looks great, although it's hard to get a goot look at your model in flight.

Could we trouble you for some closer detail pics? maybe even a construction thread?

BTW, what did the Scout fly on?

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

I likee.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Moe, I'm a big fan I love scale, especially a scale model with real fins! What modeller wouldn't love that.

Although I have to admit my LTV kit was just not that popular.

People either love the LTV Scout or hate it.

What? EVERYBODY loves the LTV Scout!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Could we trouble you for some closer detail pics? maybe even a construction thread?

BTW, what did the Scout fly on?[/QUOTE]

I'm finishing up a build article for EMRR with a few more photos. I'm thinking of also posting the text of the article to my webpage and notify you guys of the location.

I flew it on an H268R...it really got up and boogied. Only damage was a fin fillet that popped loose upon landing...I fly in the desert and the ground is hard...

Here are some pix I just took of the fin detail and transition sections.

And thanks to Sandman for sending me those detail scans from his OOP Scout kit a couple months ago...really helped with the build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  scout_fins1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  102.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  scout_fins2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  168.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  transition.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  99.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  transition2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  79.4 KB  
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Great job, Moe. I really like the BT-80 model. I have one Estes kit, one Roachwerk kit in the collection, and another Roachwerk in the build pile (deep in the build pile...).

Scott is correct - who doesn't love a good LTV Scout?

Chas
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Upscale LTV Scout construction article text (1 of 3)

Upscale LTV Scout Build
Background
When Estes released their LTV Scout in the 1970s I eventually got around to building one. Since then, I’ve admired the lines of the Scout and recently I decided to build a mid-power sport-scale version of this popular space booster. As a Born-Again-Rocketeer, I really enjoy calculating the dimensions and building up- and down-scales of various rockets. A spreadsheet program like Microsoft® Excel makes quick work of performing various calculations.

According to published data, early versions of the LTV Scout have four distinct body tube diameters. With a copy of the scale data from Rockets of the World by Pete Alway, I started calculating the various body tube sizes and what would work best with commercially available tubes. After some number crunching, I concluded using BT-80H for the first stage would be my best option. With a 1st stage outside diameter of 2.64 inches, the tubes for the other stages scale out very closely to available body tube sizes. The 2nd stage works out nicely to the Centuri/Estes ST20 (2.04); the 3rd stage is very close to the coupler stock that fits inside ST20 (1.997); and the payload section below the nose cone comes close to 2.245 inch diameter BT70H. Since I started at the bottom the 1st stage diameter set the scale and it works out to just over 1:15 scale.

(Note: shortly after I came up with these scale dimensions using Peter Alway’s data I found sources online stating the first stage diameter of the Scout D, Scout F, and Scout G is in fact 44.88 inches in diameter. However, I then found data indicating the diameter for the baseline Scout X-1 plus versions up to the Scout D is 39.76 feet in diameter. That’s close enough to 40 inches so I’m going with that, and that’s what my model will most closely resemble.)

RockSim: (to be included in the EMRR article)

I’ve included my basic RockSim file for so you can better see how the various components fit together to create a fairly convincing semi-scale sport version of this versatile U.S. space booster. The various shroud dimensions can be derived from the RockSim file as well. I printed them on 110# cardstock available at any office supply store. The nosecone shape in the file is a simple pointed cone since I haven’t yet learned how to create a specific shape. Finally, the fins are depicted as simple flat surfaces…not the wedge-shape of the prototype.

The parts list:

Commercially available “standard” items for airframe construction:
BT80H: 23.85 inches (1st stage)
BT70H: 3.22 inches (Payload section)
ST20: 20 inches (2nd stage)
T204 coupler stock: 20 inches (strength doubler for inside the ST20 2nd stage)
T204 coupler stock: 4 inches (3rd stage tube)
T52H: 20inches (motor mount/stuffer tube)
BT60: 9.16 inches (internal within payload section where the upper shrouds meet)
CR6070 centering rings: 2ea (centers the BT60 within the BT70H payload section)
CR 52H80-W: 4 ea (motor mount rings)
CR 2.042 - 2.558 centering rings: 2ea (center the 2nd stage within the 1st stage)

Commercially available “custom” items:
Balsa adapter: (Taper length is 3.05 inches and mates ST20 2nd stage to T204 coupler stock 3rd stage)
CR 1.637 - 1.929 centering rings: 2 ea (centers the BT60 within the T204 coupler stock at the payload section)
Balsa nose cone: 1ea (either commercially turned to your specs or turn it yourself on a lathe or drill)

Other miscellaneous items:
Three paper shrouds (details to follow)
T-nuts for motor retention (optional)
Kevlar cord of your choice for shock cord anchor
Shock cord material
36” nylon parachute or chute of your choice
Large screw eye
Rail buttons for 1” rail
Evergreen 9/32” round tube for external conduits
1/8” dowels (for under the conduits)
½” dowel (2 inches long) for screw eye anchor
1/32” lite aircraft plywood (for exhaust vanes)
3/32” square spruce or other material (for exhaust vane detail)

Construction and finishing materials:
Your choice of adhesive and painting products suitable for mid-high power rockets
Fix-It Epoxy Clay comes in handy for fairing the conduits

(parts 2 and 3 to follow)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  scout_moe.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  95.1 KB