Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Today I received a package of all of the 1972 Model Rocketeers in the mail from none other than Vern estes himself. Like to give Vern a public shout out for doing that.

These old magazines provide a wealth of historical information that most of us probbaly have forgotten or didn't even know.

One thing that I learned was that at NARAM-14 held in saetle,Washington in August 1972, Estes Industries demostarted a composite G motor!. Not onlt thatm but it had a mini- engine in the top of it which supplied the ejection charge.

So rise your hand if you remmber this? I was talking to a very long time employee of Estes and he had mentioned that back in the early 70's that Estes had worked on composite motors for a while, but they never saw daylight as far as being marketed.

There's also a pretty hilarious photo of a bearded Vern Estes in a Lincolnesque black Top Hat and shaw..... I'm sure Vern would rather this photo disapper from history!! .hahahah

thanks Vern

terry dean

One of the kids from my club went to NARAM 14 and when he came back that was all he talked about. Though I forgot the detail about the mini motor being used as the ejection charge.

Both Matt Steele and Bob Kaplow have in the past shown composite motors in the Enerjet style (fiberglass case-bonded with graphite closures) with labels touting "Brown-Dorffler Industries" or some-such. Don't know how they obtained them (I saw both in 1991. Matt's at NARCON in Huntsville, and Bob's at his house at a post-NARAM brunch), but I assume it was at some NARAM in the 70's. Is that about right, Matt?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Today I received a package of all of the 1972 Model Rocketeers in the mail from none other than Vern estes himself. Like to give Vern a public shout out for doing that.

These old magazines provide a wealth of historical information that most of us probbaly have forgotten or didn't even know.

One thing that I learned was that at NARAM-14 held in saetle,Washington in August 1972, Estes Industries demostarted a composite G motor!. Not onlt thatm but it had a mini- engine in the top of it which supplied the ejection charge.

So rise your hand if you remmber this? I was talking to a very long time employee of Estes and he had mentioned that back in the early 70's that Estes had worked on composite motors for a while, but they never saw daylight as far as being marketed.

There's also a pretty hilarious photo of a bearded Vern Estes in a Lincolnesque black Top Hat and shaw..... I'm sure Vern would rather this photo disapper from history!! .hahahah

thanks Vern

terry dean

I "had" all of the Model Rocketeers issues when it went back to the stand alone publication
following the demise of the Model Rocketry magazine. I had all the MR from then until 1982,
but they somehow got lost during my years AWOL from the hobby (1982 - 2003). I'd give
almost ANYTHING to get those missing issues back. I recall reading somewhere (not sure
if it was in one of these forums or Sport Rocketry) that a CD containing all of the NAR Model
Rocketeers, American Spacemodeling, Sport Rocketry, etc., will be forthcoming. If true, I'd
like to be one of the first in line to buy one!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Thanks, Vern!

If these aren't online, start scanning.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 PM
B.A.R.

Ninfinger only goes to Jan/Feb 1972 of the Model Rocketry magazine.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I "had" all of the Model Rocketeers issues when it went back to the stand alone publication
following the demise of the Model Rocketry magazine. I had all the MR from then until 1982,
but they somehow got lost during my years AWOL from the hobby (1982 - 2003). I'd give
almost ANYTHING to get those missing issues back. I recall reading somewhere (not sure
if it was in one of these forums or Sport Rocketry) that a CD containing all of the NAR Model
Rocketeers, American Spacemodeling, Sport Rocketry, etc., will be forthcoming. If true, I'd
like to be one of the first in line to buy one!!

In my more idealistic times ('88-'89) I lent many of my Model Rocketeers to a group of kids that I thought were very interested in rocketry. Of course, none of them (to my knowledge) did anything more with the hobby, and of course I didn't get my magazines back (or the '76 edition of the Handbook I also lent them). I got many of the issues back by buying the back stock from Nettie when she was NARTS back in '90 and '91, and I got a '76 Handbook at the NARAM 43 auction.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

WOW!! Looking forward to seeing these when you gave a chance to scan them....

S.

Quote:

thanks Vern

terry dean
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
In my more idealistic times ('88-'89) I lent many of my Model Rocketeers to a group of kids that I thought were very interested in rocketry. Of course, none of them (to my knowledge) did anything more with the hobby, and of course I didn't get my magazines back (or the '76 edition of the Handbook I also lent them). I got many of the issues back by buying the back stock from Nettie when she was NARTS back in '90 and '91, and I got a '76 Handbook at the NARAM 43 auction.

All of my back issues were stored either in a box or filing cabinet when I was living in
Louisiana from 1979 - 1986 (before moving to the Houston area). Not only did I have those
Model Rocketeer issues, but a good bundle of superb newsletters from a number of NAR
Sections during the 1970's and early 1980's and all of my Estes, Centuri, FSI, CMR and a few
other modroc manufacturer's catalogs. So now you can see, when I said I'd do almost
ANYTHING to get those MR back, I'll also recover the other stuff listed above. (Count in
the Estes Model Rocket News, ditto Centuri's newsletters, the very famous AVI catalogs -
remember those?! So you get the picture).
Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
One of the kids from my club went to NARAM 14 and when he came back that was all he talked about. Though I forgot the detail about the mini motor being used as the ejection charge.

Both Matt Steele and Bob Kaplow have in the past shown composite motors in the Enerjet style (fiberglass case-bonded with graphite closures) with labels touting "Brown-Dorffler Industries" or some-such. Don't know how they obtained them (I saw both in 1991. Matt's at NARCON in Huntsville, and Bob's at his house at a post-NARAM brunch), but I assume it was at some NARAM in the 70's. Is that about right, Matt?

Well, I don't know if it's the same 'batch' as the NARAM-14 motors but I have a Mike Dorffler 'G' motor in my collection.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Dorffler G Motor.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  24.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dorffler G Motor Case Markings.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  25.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dorffler G Motor Forward End.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  29.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dorffler G Motor Aft-Nozzle End.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  28.7 KB  
Old 08-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

The Brown Dorffler motor was called the Uproar, and looks to be an Enerjet clone. Same closures.