Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Did you use them for mach attempts?

*apologizes for derailing thread*

Not on purpose.

I just kept bugging my buddy for some 24mm hardware. It wasn't a standard size that you can just go out and get at a supply house, and there were minimum order requirements that were cost prohibited to us if we wanted to order some. He found the 22mm stock locally and went to work on it. He had an old FSI Nike Smoke and I have a very light weight 2" Black Brant that absolutely ripped on these motors!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
*apologizes for derailing thread*

I have the answers I wanted. As long as others don't object, the thread can go wherever it wants to at this point.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I'm curious what you saw there you could't find elsewhere?

The specific tubes were the 5+, 20+ and 50+ which are tubes with inside diameters slightly larger than the outside diameter of their non-+ namesakes. They may be available elsewhere, but I didn't run across them (didn't search real hard) and they look like they could be useful for several functions--reinforcing stuffer tubes, as retaining rings for engine hooks, etc.

Also, he had the carbon fiber rods on his list which I didn't see at other rocket supply places. I understand they're available in the RC plane community. However, as it turned out, he doesn't have the carbon fiber rods any more. I have a design in mind where reinforcing the leading edge of a glider with those rods might have been handy. I'll have to browse some local hobby shops for them or something.

Oh, and his engine hooks are half the price of anyone else except Red Arrow, that I've found.

Other than that, I could have got everything at BMS at comparable prices, but I was going to (did) send BMS a sizable nosecone, transition, noseblock and ring order. I thought I'd try out the various vendors to get a feel for how things are.

For the tubes up to about BT-50 or BT-55 his and BMS's and BRS's tube prices (with the volume discounts on the former two) are pretty much the lowest per inch of tube around (I think). For sizes above that Uncle Mike seems to have better pricing, although he doesn't have the 34" length. I haven't seen any complaints about anybody's tubes, so I don't think that relative quality is an issue.

Jim's tube "assortment" puzzles me. It includes BT2 and BT4, which I might use decoratively. But his larger X5 and X25 assortments maintain the same ratio (1:1) of BT2 and BT4 to the other sizes. How many BT2 and BT4 tubes can a person really use?

Quote:
I've had largely good experiences with Jim, and am grateful for his long support of the hobby,

I'm not worried about his reliability. I am concerned that he may have already shipped it and that the post office misplaced it. The post office does not misplace stuff too often, but when they do I become more sensitized to the issue. I recently sent two AEC-7220 (SCSI to IDE adapters) to the UK which never arrived, so for the next couple of months, I'm sensitized to the possibility of the post office losing things.

And, of course, now rather than serenely waiting for my order to arrive, I'm all eager, because I didn't order CR2060s from anyone else. Silly, silly. Still shaking my head over that one. And only twelve?

Hmmm. Part of my BMS order is backordered. I wonder if they'd let me buy some 2060 rings without adding a shipping charge, since they're going to be shipping me the backordered stuff anyway...
Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
The specific tubes were the 5+, 20+ and 50+ which are tubes with inside diameters slightly larger than the outside diameter of their non-+ namesakes.
Ah, yes, the slip fit tubes. I use the 5+ as HPR launch lugs (with a wrap of 'glass over them).

Quote:
Also, he had the carbon fiber rods on his list which I didn't see at other rocket supply places. I understand they're available in the RC plane community. However, as it turned out, he doesn't have the carbon fiber rods any more. I have a design in mind where reinforcing the leading edge of a glider with those rods might have been handy. I'll have to browse some local hobby shops for them or something.
I use these for 1/8" launch rods - they bend without kinking. I got five from Jim way long time ago.

Quote:
Oh, and his engine hooks are half the price of anyone else except Red Arrow, that I've found.
For hooks, if you get discarded windshield wiper refills, they often have flat strips of metal in them well suited for hooks - they have the springiness needed. Best place to find them is in the trash can in front of the auto parts store. Try not to get caught dumpster diving

Quote:
Jim's tube "assortment" puzzles me. It includes BT2 and BT4, which I might use decoratively. But his larger X5 and X25 assortments maintain the same ratio (1:1) of BT2 and BT4 to the other sizes. How many BT2 and BT4 tubes can a person really use?
I imagine the T-4 tubes have been moving kinda slow since Apogee dropped their 10.5mm line of BP motors.

Quote:
Still shaking my head over that one. And only twelve?
Get used to it, or you'll drive yourself crazy. I always find something I wished I'd ordered after the order is placed.

Quote:
Hmmm. Part of my BMS order is backordered. I wonder if they'd let me buy some 2060 rings without adding a shipping charge, since they're going to be shipping me the backordered stuff anyway...
Call Bill and ask him. He's a great guy.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Chad Ring has a really nice looking Aerobee 350 on page 24 of Sport Rocketry. If that's a BP motor back there, he might have gap staged that model. That Nike booster is most likely nice and stable on its on, so I bet he's got some sort of recovery setup with it. If anybody knows him, maybe you can shoot him an email for a quick bit of info on his rocket to see what method he used and how successful it is.

Well, I emailed Chad about his rocket. Here' what he had to say.......

"Well, there's nothing to really tell. I did not stage my model. Actually, the photo caption is wrong. It is not even my model. My Aerobee flew on a D24-4 reload. The pic in the mag is Patrick Petersen's Aerobee, I think it flew on a D12 maybe? And I'm 99.9% sure Patrick didn't stage either.

I was planning to stage to four A3-4's but after static scores and missions from several others that day, I didn't need to stage, as it wasn't gonna move me up enough, so I chose to fly the conservative qualifying flight. Flew nice on the D24."
Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Well, I emailed Chad about his rocket. Here' what he had to say.......

"Well, there's nothing to really tell. I did not stage my model. Actually, the photo caption is wrong. It is not even my model. My Aerobee flew on a D24-4 reload. The pic in the mag is Patrick Petersen's Aerobee, I think it flew on a D12 maybe? And I'm 99.9% sure Patrick didn't stage either.

I was planning to stage to four A3-4's but after static scores and missions from several others that day, I didn't need to stage, as it wasn't gonna move me up enough, so I chose to fly the conservative qualifying flight. Flew nice on the D24."

Interesting. If he didn't stage it, he must have used an altimeter for deployment. I wonder if anybody knows how to contact Patrick.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Interesting. If he didn't stage it, he must have used an altimeter for deployment. I wonder if anybody knows how to contact Patrick.

Heck, I was trying to figure out how he planned to ignite the cluster. Follow-up e-mail sent.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Call Bill and ask him. He's a great guy..

I sent him an email, but my backordered items arrived the next day, so it was moot.

I went ahead and ordered more rings from Semroc and added some nose cones to my collection while I was at it.

I double checked the email from Jim and he definitely wrote that he planned to pack up my TT order on Saturday (referring to the 8th). Of course, that doesn't mean that he was able to carry out that plan. Nevertheless I emailed him asking whether it has shipped, stating that it's fine if it hasn't, but if it has, I'd like to know whether the postal service is overdue or not. I just emailed him last night, so no telling when I'll get a response with the holiday upon us.