Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 03:08 PM
7/21/61

Default Interceptor E Finishing Tips from Roguepink

Roguepink, the designer of the finishing scheme for the Interceptor E, very kindly responded to my request to know what paints he used. His comment about the pearlescent is in response to my stating it appears gradient-like on both his photos and the kit art work.

From Roguepink:

The base color is Krylon gloss white from the can.
The pearlescent is Lumiere silver pearl acrylic found at well-stocked art supply stores. I thinned it 1 part paint to 10 parts alcohol, airbrushed though frisket (a very low tack film) cut with random shapes. The pearlescent is not a gradient, but it reflects differently to varying angles of light.
The silver edging is Testor's Silver in the 1/4 oz. bottle, airbrushed.
The pods are Testor's "Racing Orange" rattle-can.

He also notes more good stuff is on the way from Estes, and that there's a possibility there may be a finishing tips section on the Estes website at some point in the future.

Again, my thanks to Roguepink for responding to my question. I'm sure many will appreciate the info.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Master Modeler

Gus

Rougepink is a great guy and a friend.

As I had mentioned many times on the old Estes Forum, many new and exciting kits, bringbacks and new kit were planned, but, due to changes in employees over the past six months, I guess that slowed them down.

If they do only a quarter of what they had originally planned, it will be really exciting, and, from what I hear, they have added a few surprises in the mix as well.

Only time will tell.

Enjoy building your 1350 and post pictures and launch info when your finished.
Ken
Old 11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I've wanted to do an Interceptor-E in the Roguepink style since seeing the pictures of his model in this thread. It took a lot of chipping away with the airbrush -- a couple in-process pictures are attached -- but my version's finally done. Kudos to Roguepink for coming up with the ideas that went into this finish scheme.

Despite how cool the Roguepink model is, it seems that Estes used another model for the packaging cover picture (no weathering and no silver on the fin leading edges), and used still another model for publicity glamor shots (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...1P?I=LXSDH2&P=8 no weathering, silver engine nozzle). The Roguepink model just appears in the kit instructions. Always wondered why that was so, when the Roguepink version looked as good as it did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC09200.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  158.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC09196.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  125.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC09192.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  139.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC09168.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  139.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC09172.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  140.7 KB  

Last edited by toejrb : 11-14-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: correct spellings
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Gus,

Thanks for getting RoGUEpink's handle correct.
He never has had rouge in his handle !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Gus,

Thanks for getting RoGUEpink's handle correct.
He never has had rouge in his handle !

Probably alittle ROUGH while at 1295 H St
Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Craftsman

Those pictures look good !!! I always liked the Interceptor. For the Liars contest at Naram19 My friend and I said we invented a enlarging machine. He built a Maxi Kopter using Bt101 and a V-2 nose cone and I built a double scale Interceptor and a A8-3 engine on a 4" dia shipping tube. Doug almost canceled the contest because we were running late but he knew if he did that we would have tared and feathered him for all the work we did. The interceptor flew good with F100's. The Maxi Kopter was something to behold.......................
Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Craftsman

I have to say it again, Those look good!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons4
I have to say it again, Those look good!!!!

Thanks! I remember building the original interceptor in the seventies, and was thrilled to hear about the E version; even more jazzed after seeing the pix on this forum.

A big part of why this took so long was that I used an acrylic pearlescent paint that took a long time to dry (cure?) hard enough to mask over. The long drying time also meant I could only use a given frisket mask one or two times a day before I had to set it aside and let it dry overnight.

If I do this again, or something like it, I'd use tinted Alclad lacquers instead of pearlescent. Alclad dries instantly, and a light, lightly tinted coat could definitely pass for pearlescent. I understand there are some pearlescent lacquers out there, but the only ones I could find were for automotive applications and sold in quanities far beyond what I'd ever use.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by toejrb
A big part of why this took so long was that I used an acrylic pearlescent paint that took a long time to dry (cure?) hard enough to mask over.

Some of those pearlescent acrylics recommend heating in order to set/cure them on T-shirts. I used heat to cure Createx faster when I used it on a recent model.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons4
Those pictures look good !!! I always liked the Interceptor. For the Liars contest at Naram19 My friend and I said we invented a enlarging machine. He built a Maxi Kopter using Bt101 and a V-2 nose cone and I built a double scale Interceptor and a A8-3 engine on a 4" dia shipping tube. Doug almost canceled the contest because we were running late but he knew if he did that we would have tared and feathered him for all the work we did. The interceptor flew good with F100's. The Maxi Kopter was something to behold.......................

ESTES could have done a better job with the materials. I had purchased a kit from them with missing parts and warped balsa and wrote them an email using their site and never heard anything back from them? Not sure if my email even went through or they got it and chose to ignore me, but either way I still have a kit that is of no good to me. I paid $35 awhile back (Feb 2011) on Hobbylinc...and just got around to building it last month or so.. oh well. I think I will pass on their kits.

I hear their new kits are they are coming out with are suppose to be much better...the MPR kits.