Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
BP Mafia

Default Hour To Burn Before Work Launch - 6/3/12

We had a graduation party to go to on Saturday, and as we were leaving the neighborhood, B6-4 Field was empty and the air was dead still. Right then I decided that if conditions were the same on Sunday, I'd take advantage of them. Well, conditions were near the same on Sunday night after dinner, so I packed up some baby birds and headed for the field.
Both fields were being used on my first pass, so I gave up and headed home. When 8:00 rolled around and the skies were still pretty bright, I hopped back into the car to check the fields again, this time finding them empty. The nice thing about flying there is that I have everything I need in three boxes so that I can park and be set up and ready to fly in two minutes. True to form, two minutes later my first bird was on the pad, a Centuri Vulcan that I cloned years ago, but only recently relocated the launch lug on in an attempt to straighten out a wobbly flight pattern.:sad:Yeah, that didn't work.

Flight was on a B6-4 and ten feet off the rod it went completely unstable and began skywriting. It seemed to be half trying to float and half trying to respond to the thrust of the motor, only attaining a height of 60' before crashing back into the infield. The ejection charge fired as it sat on the ground.

WOO-HOO! What a start.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
BP Mafia

Second flight was my newly rebuilt Custom Stealth Interceptor.

Also flying on a B6-4, this one turned in a much better flight, straight up and perfectly stable. The problem was a breeze at the treetop level. It immediately began drifting toward the trees that seperate the ballfield from US 27. You know the feeling. Nothing I could do but watch and impart some body language as it miraculously threaded its way through the trees. Then to make it more exciting, it appeared to land in traffic.

As you can see, it avoided the traffic, but only by the slimmest of margins. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
BP Mafia

Next up, also on a B6-4, was my Estes Super Alpha, a rocket MADE for this field and engine combination. Once again, a perfect flight, high enough to impress, but low enough that you see the whole thing up close. Ejection came just as it tipped over and recovery was impressive as usual on the big, checkered chute. Made me wish I had more B6-4s.

Yeah, skirted the trees, but still an impressive flight.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM
BP Mafia

With my stock of B6-4s down to ONE, I flew the Semroc Saki on an A8-3 against my better judgement. I could almost throw it that high. Chute popped only 20 feet off the ground, but everything worked right and recovery was perfect, and only fifteen feet from the pad. I'll take that.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
BP Mafia

I cloned an Estes Scamp years ago and it made its first flight at B6-4 Field on an evening a lot like this one, so I decided to try my new, undecaled clone on an A8-3. Just a nice flight and recovery, and I really like that "under chute" shot.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
BP Mafia

I was losing light fast now. The flame had been visible for the whole flight of the Scamp and my camera was really having trouble. I had planned for the Semroc VF-261 to be the last flight of the night, but it seemed that I had attracted an audience.

I heard the cheers as the chute popped on this flight and looked to the hillside where a lady, two young girls and two dogs were sitting and watching, so I figured I could squeeze in one more flight.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
BP Mafia

Or maybe three more. The Custom Lamprey was next on my very last B6-4. A great flight with a nice orange tail all the way up. Must have freaked out a driver or two.

Recovery was VERY iffy. The Lamprey looked to be doomed, but swung around out of harm's way every time I thought the trees had it. More cheers from the hillside.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
BP Mafia

Next was the first flight of my MPC Flare Patriot, the first truly vintage rocket I ever bought from Ebay. Still painted in only the white base coat, I thought it would be a good flight to end things on because of the all white color.

The A8-3 flight was perfect for the field, but I should have gone with a small chute instead of a streamer. It hit hard on the infield and popped a fin. Now I was SURE I was done as it was truly dark.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
BP Mafia

Wrong. My audience finally came down for an up-close look at things, so I offered to let them push the button on the last flight of the night, an Estes Alpha on an A8-3. Everything went off without a hitch and the girls were thrilled that the rocket flew, that they could see fire as it rose above the field, and that it didn't blow up like fireworks did.

So, I guess I'll be making a couple of stops at Hobby Lobby with coupons this week. Might have to recruit the kids to make a trip with me. My B6-4 stash is GONE, and no way I'm changing the name of the field to A8-3 Field. It just doesn't have a ring to it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

Rough start, but a great ending!