Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Master Modeler

Default Return of the Ventris and How I’ve Been Wrong…

In the grand scheme of online hobby rocketry I’m a very tiny fish - maybe at the plankton level? But I have made a fair number of thread posts here, on TRF and FB. In many past posts I’ve stated multiple times we’ll never see the return of the “classic” mid-2000s PSII kits like Leviathan, Partizon, Argent and…Ventris. My logic has been Estes would never sell kits again that builders can’t fly on Estes motors but here’s what appears to be proof I was wrong - next week it looks like the #9701 Ventris is coming back…of course, the one PSII kit I have multiples of on hand!

Estes sent an email this afternoon and posted on their FB page about the return of a PSII kit - the picture is pretty much obviously of the Ventris. And the email strongly implies the neo-Ventris will work over current 29mm PSII BP motors - nifty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  BED995EB-7D85-479C-AB58-C17B619D3388.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  237.3 KB  

NAR #102949/L1
Old 06-11-2023, 04:58 PM
BAR

Thanks for the news. I never warmed to those kits, just too plain. Seemed like they only became popular when they were getting blown out at the end. Never did buy one, even at the huge discounts. OTOH, the 4" DRM and 3" Nike Smoke were great! And I've bought most of the current production PSII kits (still need the So Long) and built all but the Doorknob.

I wonder how they lightened them to fly on 29mm BP? The Star Orbiter, DBRM, and SBB all fly great on Estes BP - the Majestic is OK on calm days, but don't fly it with the booster!

And the website STILL shows the wrong fins on the Star Orbiter!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 06-11-2023, 06:48 PM
Master Modeler

My Ventirs, which is pretty much stock, weighs 15.9 ounces sans motor. That's on edge for E16-4 and F15-4 based on recommended max liftoff weights.

Interesting, this.

(I got the email, too, but in the email there's not enough picture to figure it out. In the picture you posted that is clearly a Ventris.)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-11-2023, 08:38 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
My Ventirs, which is pretty much stock, weighs 15.9 ounces sans motor. That's on edge for E16-4 and F15-4 based on recommended max liftoff weights.

Interesting, this.

(I got the email, too, but in the email there's not enough picture to figure it out. In the picture you posted that is clearly a Ventris.)

I got that email also and yes, the graphic in the email did not match that in post #1 above. I checked the Estes Facebook page (I don’t do FB, but went there just to see) and it IS posted there.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-12-2023, 08:48 AM
Master Modeler

The Ventris product page is live - $89.99 isn’t an outrageous price but I already have two Ventrii to build so it’s a pass for me. I wonder if a roll pattern decal is included this time around?

https://estesrockets.com/products/v...XAI#description

NAR #102949/L1
Old 06-12-2023, 09:09 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
The Ventris product page is live - $89.99 isn’t an outrageous price but I already have two Ventrii to build so it’s a pass for me. I wonder if a roll pattern decal is included this time around?

https://estesrockets.com/products/v...XAI#description

I ordered one for fun ($89.99).

I will let you know about the roll pattern decal. On the one I built when the kit first came out I had to get a third-party decal set for the kit.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:47 AM
Master Modeler

Are the Ventris's parts found in other models? Did Estes find a pile of parts in a back corner and make a run of the kits?

I'll be curious whether these have non-retail packaging, like the Sahara and Panavia.

I have a Ventris in my "build" box, and maybe another in my "sell" box, so I won't be going for this deal.

I really like(d) the PSII kits. I fly them on Aerotech motors . . . wouldn't think of using a BP motor in them!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-12-2023, 11:24 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I will let you know about the roll pattern decal. On the one I built when the kit first came out I had to get a third-party decal set for the kit.

Please let us know what kind of wood is in the reissue. To fly the old Ventris using Estes BP motors, I would have put the Ventris on a diet. Balsa fins, or whatever that balsa-like wood they use in China, instead of plywood fins. Maybe paper centering rings too...
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 06-12-2023, 11:37 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Please let us know what kind of wood is in the reissue. To fly the old Ventris using Estes BP motors, I would have put the Ventris on a diet. Balsa fins, or whatever that balsa-like wood they use in China, instead of plywood fins. Maybe paper centering rings too...

The specs on the product page shows the same weight as the original - 15.6 ounces - so it’s unlikely the fins/rings are balsa/paper.

NAR #102949/L1
Old 06-12-2023, 11:40 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf

And the link to the instructions shows the original kit’s instructions listing plywood fins/rings so I’d say balsa/paper are out.

NAR #102949/L1