Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

The Taser Twin is a three fined Apogee II!!!
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
The Taser Twin is a three fined Apogee II!!!

I was at Walmart today, and I just could not force myself to grab a Taser Twin. The Apogee II was my first 2-stager as a kid, and I decided I'd really rather clone that rocket. I picked up the Ricochet, and thought about getting it, and realized I have LOTS of little rocket kits at home that may never get built, and although priced right, why bother?

The one reason I was tempted with either was the fact that nice decals are included -- at least I assume these kits decals are nice. I did buy a Crossbow when they first came out, and I will admit that the balsa parts are very well done, and the decals look first rate.

I hope these are not the only new products we see from Estes this year.

Edit:
(Just saw the earlier posts from Mike at Estes ... sounds promising for some new kits after all.)

Edit Again:
OK, this is crazy -- after thinking about it, I decided why not complete the set. Bought these two yesterday.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 06-19-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by be69ar
...The Moon Mutt was totally our idea and they liked it as well. Again, the objective is to get more adults and kids interested in the hobby and grow them into rocketeers for life. Wal-mart only carries 9-11 products at a time from us...beyond that and we just shoot ourselves in the foot with to much selection and too many price points. We want those Wal-mart consumers to enjoy their first experience with model rocketry and hopefully find their way to a hobby shop and see what else there is to the hobby. Seems to work in most cases.
Mike

Fair enough.....

Having lived through the bad old days of electric powered RC (say the early 1980s) where the turnkey packages - if you were lucky - barely flew and probably turned more folks off to electric power than onto it.

So my concern is that the MM on an A10-3T is likely gone in one flight - and that might be a reason to walk away - especially if all they're out is $10 for the MM set and $6 for the four-pack of the only motors from the nearby display that will physically fit. I'm again thinking about those won't have or won't know about an LHS to walk into to buy a pack of 1/2A3-2Ts for it. A impulse engines aren't even mentioned on or in the box for the Moon Mutt (at least the one I bought).

FWIW I have a Star Stryker in primer right now, and a Ricochet at my desk at work to be my next lunchtime/while the computer is chewing on something build. I also have a Taser Twin here at the house but it will sit until there are A impulse boosters available as I expect it'd be OOS on a B6-0 even with a 1/2A sustainer.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Mike,

First, welcome to YORF.

Second, thanks for the latest news from Penrose.

Third, if you will be attending NARAM-51, you had better bring some rockets to fly.

Bob
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Moon Mutt

...to BEC...I just wanted to follow up with the MM motor choice...if you will note, the only engines recommended onthe package are the 1/4 and 1/2 A...no where do we say its fine to use the A10...for the very reasons you mentioned. In the original plan for WM, when we developed the 30 engine pack display for them, we put the 1/2A in the assortment so that there would be a corresponding motor to use. Unfortunately, WM chose to go back the the 12 pack and so motor selection is going to be limited to A's , B's and C's and the MM sales might suffer as a result. However, we won't know this for some time to come.
I only bring this up as I didn't want it beleived that we put a launch set on shelf without thinking about which motor would benefit the first time user....we did, WM changed the plan on us.
Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
...to BEC...I just wanted to follow up with the MM motor choice...if you will note, the only engines recommended onthe package are the 1/4 and 1/2 A...no where do we say its fine to use the A10...for the very reasons you mentioned. In the original plan for WM, when we developed the 30 engine pack display for them, we put the 1/2A in the assortment so that there would be a corresponding motor to use. Unfortunately, WM chose to go back the the 12 pack and so motor selection is going to be limited to A's , B's and C's and the MM sales might suffer as a result. However, we won't know this for some time to come.
I only bring this up as I didn't want it beleived that we put a launch set on shelf without thinking about which motor would benefit the first time user....we did, WM changed the plan on us.
Mike

Mike,

Again, fair enough. The big gorilla messed up your Cunning Plan . I figured it was something like that. Perhaps a suggestion in the documentation (future printings) to point people to sources for 1/2A3-2Ts or a note on estesrockets.com about that?

As you know from fielding questions on RCG, one must never assume that folks are necessarily going to figure this stuff out on their own even though it's obvious to us here.

I'm planning to go to a lauch this weekend in a BIG field and I may try to fly the MM on an A just to see.....
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Master Modeler

Mike, Here is a picture of the Estes display I was asking about....

Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes Display

...wow...most impressive...where was this image taken?...I know I wasn't there. I have most of the rockets seen in this image, but others have been packed away. If this was a traveling display or some such, it was before I took over Estes brand management 2 plus years ago.
Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
...wow...most impressive...where was this image taken?...I know I wasn't there. I have most of the rockets seen in this image, but others have been packed away. If this was a traveling display or some such, it was before I took over Estes brand management 2 plus years ago.
Mike

The Interceptor E and big D-Region Tomahawk are in these pics so it has to be fairly recent.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Well I am going to give this a shot. I am already building the Vintage Blue Bird, and now I am going to add 4 more kits. I have over 300 vintage kits to build and with these new kits coming out it makes it tough to build them all. When I fly my vintage kits people ask where I buy them, and unfortunately I have to tell them these kits are no longer made. Now I can fly these new kits and hopefully attract new rocketeers. These are simple kits and should not take long. Look at the cool white trash bag for a parachute. I will also post the progress of my Blue Bird Zero today. These builds will not delay my Shrike build.

This wouldn't have anything to do with Chinese lead issues would it...??