Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Colossus Build

I have always liked this kit and can't wait to get started. It will be nice not to have to fill balsa this time.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 AM
GET GOONY!!

Hmmm... I never realized this shared the nosecone and fin can with the Maxi Alpha III. I have a set of these fins in the parts box....

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Phred, tell him to make nice scans of the decal

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I first saw this kit in a hobby shop in Montana when I was on a business trip there. $19 I think. I passed on it at the time. My next trip there, I decided to buy it........it was gone .

I guess I'm going to have to look at cloning it, minus the plastic. Although, I do have a Bagged Maxi-Alpha III.......
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Dazed and Confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I first saw this kit in a hobby shop in Montana when I was on a business trip there. $19 I think. I passed on it at the time. My next trip there, I decided to buy it........it was gone .

I guess I'm going to have to look at cloning it, minus the plastic. Although, I do have a Bagged Maxi-Alpha III.......

Buy an Estes Executioner, add another section of BT-80 the same length as the two included with the kit, paint in the color scheme of the Colossus, add decals available from Tango Papa. That's what I did, and most people can't tell it's not the real thing from a distance. Oh, and I also upgraded to a 29MM motor mount. Flies great on a Roadrunner F60 or an Aerotech F32 (with an adapter)!!!

Tom C.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Master Modeler

I will scan and post the decal in PDF form. I have 2 of these kits and the second kit looks newer and has a white nose cone.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Master Modeler

I am scanning the decals right now and will try to post in pdf tomorrow. Also I started on this kit and I don't think it will come out like the catalog model. It appears as if Estes used wood fins instead of plastic for the catalog shoot. Just my guess...........
Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Master Modeler

This thing is big, now off to the paint shop. I am still trying to get a good scan of the decals.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I am scanning the decals right now and will try to post in pdf tomorrow. Also I started on this kit and I don't think it will come out like the catalog model. It appears as if Estes used wood fins instead of plastic for the catalog shoot. Just my guess...........

That's what I thought when I got my kit decades ago. That's also why I finished it in the no-painting alternative method suggested in the plans. It looked stupid with the red/white body and the big gold Colossus decals. It would have looked better without the decals.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Master Modeler

I think when is all painted it will look fine since it is so big, but if you look closely at the fins that will be another story. The front picture on the box used wood that is thicker than the plastic, that's obvious. There are a couple more color pictures that look like Estes used the plastic fins since they are so skinny, but they are not close up pictures.