Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Master Modeler

I understand.....there are three major things that I had hoped to get to but didn't: getting my Eggfinder fully operational and installed in one of the Star Orbiters, getting a Möbius mini camera and setting it up for rocket photography and building and testing an NCR North Hawk RC boost glider. Oh well....as it is I will have more models to fly than I possibly can in the time available, even with my wife flying as well.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I originally thought I would go to NSL, but events have quashed that. I will be curious to see photos of the museum. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Thanks for the reminder, Jerry. I'm going to take my wife's little compact Nikon to use on the tours. Lately, I've gotten lazy and most of my photography is with an iPhone. I hardly ever use my Nikon DSLR, I'm always tempted to take a variety of lenses and it'd just too much to carry in my advancing years ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-22-2017, 05:18 PM

My NSL fleet:

First, the Super Orbital Transport in the foreground. It got painted this morning, so I will apply decals tomorrow. My ancient Orbital Transport is in front if it for comparison (and wearing a brown haze from lousy clearcoat that went bad after a few years.)

From back to front, left to right:
Slick Willie, a shortened-from-a-crash NCR Patriot I first flew 5/17/92 at NARCON, on my 40th birthday, 25 years ago! Next, a Super Big Bertha (Broadsword), and next to that, my scratch-built Level 1 rocket from 1993.

Moving up, a Star Orbiter. Next to it, a 20 year-old scratch-built Mega Mosquito, with scale thickness balsa/ply laminated and fiberglassed fins. Sports a 1/2" launch lug (for upscaled) with a 1/4" lug hidden inside. Under it, laying flat, a Deuces Wild.

Moving up, a scratch Der Big Red Max, a chubby metallic red rocket -- Red Heat. Next, and hard to see, an Estes V-2 with scale fins. Next to it, an Estes Recruiter.

Moving up, a Semroc Mars Lander, to fly on 18/20 RMS with D13 reload. Next, my oldest rocket, an Estes Saros I built in 1976. Has not flown since the late 80s. Next, a Super Alpha.

Moving up, the scratch-built, flat black fighter, the Raven. It last flew in the 90s on 29/40-120 RMS with G33 reload. I've got one left for it. Next, in gray and purple, a 4FNC for flying some older/questionable motors. Next up, my scratch-built Astron Cobra (3X18mm cluster). I always wanted one as a kid. Now, as a senior citizen, I have one! It will make its maiden flight (as will the Dueces Wild, Mars Lander -- actually, about 1/2 of these.)

Moving up, a scratch built fighter/interceptor called Kestrel. It fly not particularly high on C motors, so I replaced the 18mm motor mount with a 24mm mount for D12s or E9s.

I tried to keep rocket count under 20, and I think I counted 19 here. It may be more than I can fly, but better to have too many than too few.

Sorry for marginal picture. I wasn't considering back lighting and I had to chop the picture to get it to load ... (upping the max file size from ~1.4MB to about 2MB would help a lot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1157.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  1.39 MB  

Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Master Modeler

Cool! It looks like you chose the same color scheme for your V-2 as I did (though I didn't crop the fins back to scale size). I'll bet you went through the same logic as I did, too (gee....what color scheme can I actually get done in the time I have? )

I had a Cobra in my first rocket phase (late 1960s to early 1970s) but I haven't done another. I should. I did a Ranger a few years ago but since we will have four Big Berthas with us I don't think I'll bring it.

Speaking of Big Berthas....here's another shot my wife took (with her iPhone SE) this morning...can you tell we're both exiles from New Mexico up here in the land of damp and green (who are relishing that we've finally had almost a whole week without rain for the first time since October)?

BTW, if you are posting from a Mac, you can just export your iPhone image from Photos to another folder and choose a file size (original, large, medium, small). The NM group was done with "large" and it's about half a MB.

Added - Jerry - sorry you can't come - I was looking forward to putting a face with the name.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_6911.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  446.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 4.18.28 PM.png
Views: 18
Size:  75.9 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Master Modeler

I made something for the ones participating in the Beer Loft Social event to use the next day. A D12-3 should fly plenty high.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Beer Loft Rocket.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  157.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  6 Pack.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  224.2 KB  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Bernard,

I actually built the V-2 last year. But you nailed it, I was looking for a simple paint scheme. I really like the Wehrmacht Field Test colors. I trimmed the fins to scale after attaching them! I opened up my Maxi V-2 kit to look at the fins, realized they were scale, and then modified the BT-80 model. I also have micro buttons on this. Flies just fine with them, though I've lately been using the mini size for rockets this size.

I'm lazy and mostly post from an iPad. It gets camera roll from my iPhone in about a minute. From my PC I usually adjust sizing with Irfanview, or use something like Photobucket. I think my next PC is going to be a Mac, to have the entire Apple platform for the simplicity of sharing easily amongst devices.

After NSL, I'll start work on a Super Cobra. I have all the parts except no fins cut yet.
I also need to bend John's ear about how to toughen fin attachment on a Maxi Honest John. I tore off the original fins in disgust about 20 years ago!

Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
After NSL, I'll start work on a Super Cobra.

As in upscale Cobra 1500 or the classic cluster model? How big? My son did a Mean Machine with the Cobra 1500's yellow/white paint and Cobra 2000 decals.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:26 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I'm lazy and mostly post from an iPad. It gets camera roll from my iPhone in about a minute. From my PC I usually adjust sizing with Irfanview, or use something like Photobucket. I think my next PC is going to be a Mac, to have the entire Apple platform for the simplicity of sharing easily amongst devices.

It takes a little longer, but now that I've upgraded to Sierra on my five-year-old MacBook Pro the pics from my phone get there pretty easily now.

Hmmmmm...resizing while posting from an iPad....let's see what I can do here....yup - no obvious way to just do that. *sigh*

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
As in upscale Cobra 1500 or the classic cluster model? How big? My son did a Mean Machine with the Cobra 1500's yellow/white paint and Cobra 2000 decals.

It's an upscale of the Astron Cobra clustered model. I forgot about the Cobra 1500.

The upscale uses BT-80 main tube and BT-60 payload tube. Three 24mm mounts. I'm testing a variety of packages of Estes E9s at NSL. Ive never seen an E12 locally, so I might see if I can I buy some at NSL. I've only flown a few E9s, and with no issues, but I hear enough concern that I'd like to test both old and new lots. I have some older rockets that can be sacrificial at this point. The rocket would still be a great flyer on D12s if that is my final selection. My current Cobra has a 4-40 threaded shaft between motor tubes. A washer and cap screw secure the motors. I'll use the same technique on the upscale. No hooks showing, and no masking tape needed like on the original.