Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Former Teen Rocketeer

Default New Forum Member, Old Kits to share ...

Encouraged by my 5-year old son, I have finally unpacked a box of hobby supplies I've been toting along for 20 years through half a dozen moves. Inside I have found a variety of Estes rocket kits - some never opened, others opened but unbuilt, and some miscellaneous parts. All date to the mid-1980s, when I worked part time in a hobby shop and got my models at cost. Needless to say, I bought more than I could build. Aside from the drying/discoloring of the parachute's adhesive tape dots, all are in remarkably good condition:

Orbital Transport (original issue) full kit
Space Shuttle (original issue) full kit
Interceptor (original issue) partially built
Shrike (2-stage w/payload section) full kit
Citation Series Patriot (boxed) full kit
Star Wars T.I.E. Fighter (original issue) partially built

I also have the instruction sheet for the Sky Dart and the USS Enterprise. There's a bag of extra body tubes, parachutes, nose cones, engine mounts and other items as well. I've seen a couple of these kits for sale on eBay. Could anyone advise me of these kit's value and the best way to find a new home for some/all of them? Thanks!

Sam
Old 06-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

The best way to find them new homes would be to sell them to me
The Citation Patriot would go for around $100 or more on eBay.
The Interceptor would do ok as well but not as well since its opened and started.
The Shrike should do around $45 to $50 my guess just search completed auctions and you'll get a idea. Good luck Bob
I'm interested in the misc parts let me know what your looking to get you can email me at duobob@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by srenkin
Encouraged by my 5-year old son, I have finally unpacked a box of hobby supplies I've been toting along for 20 years through half a dozen moves. Inside I have found a variety of Estes rocket kits - some never opened, others opened but unbuilt, and some miscellaneous parts. All date to the mid-1980s, when I worked part time in a hobby shop and got my models at cost. Needless to say, I bought more than I could build. Aside from the drying/discoloring of the parachute's adhesive tape dots, all are in remarkably good condition:

Orbital Transport (original issue) full kit
Space Shuttle (original issue) full kit
Interceptor (original issue) partially built
Shrike (2-stage w/payload section) full kit
Citation Series Patriot (boxed) full kit
Star Wars T.I.E. Fighter (original issue) partially built

I also have the instruction sheet for the Sky Dart and the USS Enterprise. There's a bag of extra body tubes, parachutes, nose cones, engine mounts and other items as well. I've seen a couple of these kits for sale on eBay. Could anyone advise me of these kit's value and the best way to find a new home for some/all of them? Thanks!

Sam
Well, the *best* way to find new homes for them is to offer to give them away, one kit per customer.

I bought a 15th anniversary TIE Fighter kit from 1993 on eBay for something like $12.00 including shipping, but I don't know what an original issue one might go for.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Former Teen Rocketeer

Bob and John -

Thanks for your replies! I had no idea these kits would appreciate over the years (finally, vindication from my wife's claims that I'm a pack rat!)

Check out the attached photos - this is the basic inventory. The kits have been checked for all the parts - the poly bags have grown brittle with time, and most are splitting at the bottom. Fortunately, all are complete - but the shock cords and tape dots are a bit crispy.

I'll probably keep the Orbital Transport kit and finish the Interceptor ... those (along with the Mars Lander and Vega) are for me among the "holy grail" of rockets from back in the day. What a trip down memory lane this is - I must have built nearly every rocket made by Estes in the 70s - including the Mars Lander and Vega. Where they are now, who knows. I truly miss my Der Red Max - the others came and went, but I flew that thing hundreds of times!

You'll see some miscellaneous tubes, balsa couplers/cones, and instruction sheets from a few other notable kits - Star Trek Enterprise, K-51 Sandhawk, K-57 Sky Dart, #1287 LTV Scout, #1919 Honest John , #1926 V-2, not sure if these have any value but I'm happy to scan and share. The long silver nose cone is possibly a Centuri product - I believe part #PNC-167 as written in an old design plan I was cooking up back then ... and somewhere I've got a 1977 Estes catalog ... maybe in my high school memorabilia box?

Also pictured are a couple of interesting publications - at the time I was also dabbling in R/C gliders, so I obtained from Estes 2 technical reports and an archaic rocket plan for the "Sky Slash." All date from 1963-64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  estes rockets.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  376.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  estes rockets 2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  368.6 KB  
Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thats some nice stuff you got there! I recomend you save them for a few more years and then build them with your son. Thats what happened with me . My son found my old stash at my parents house (sealed Goblin, Ranger, Echo, and Space Shuttle and some built kits) and we havent looked back since. I also have to agree with you on the Red Max that was always my favorite untill I lost it to what I belive was a thermal ( the C5-3 didnt help though) that thing drifted forever. You should build a Red Max clone
plans http://www.dars.org/jimz/est0651.htm
decals http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/
Welcome back sounds like we have a BAR in the making here.
Good Luck! Bob
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Former Teen Rocketeer

Um, let me guess ...

"Born Again Rocketeer?"

I think I got a little bored with rocketry when I was around 18. But I've never forgotten the thrill of a launch - I'm a creative director who designs business meetings and events, and I've incorporated model rocketry into 2 or 3 events in which there was a teambuilding component. Simple rocket kits, great fun outdoors.

Thanks for your advice -

Sam
Old 06-01-2006, 11:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by duobob
You should build a Red Max clone
plans http://www.dars.org/jimz/est0651.htm
decals http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/
Welcome back sounds like we have a BAR in the making here.
Good Luck! Bob

The Screaming Mimi is a good place to start if you plan to clone a Max. Recently discontinued, but there's a good supply of them out there.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-02-2006, 07:14 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

NIce batch of goodies , and , as noted, would bring a few bucks - sell the vintage kits to someone who appreciates them, and grab a recent starter set and go fly a few with your family .

I noted the decal set for the LTV Scout in your photo - I'd be VERY interested in that, to refinished my original that the decals are flaking off .

Let me know ? ( * begs *, lol )

~ AL
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 AM
ACE DISASTER COMPANY

I built a Screamin' Max a couple of years ago. I just combined a modified Mimi with modified graphics from Der Red Max. It's on Essence if anyone's interested in checking it out... I've flown it three times now and it's screamed twice (once pretty well, once very little) The problem seems to be the engine swoosh overpowers the wistles in all but the calmest wind...Anyway, it was a fun build.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by duobob
Thats some nice stuff you got there! I recomend you save them for a few more years and then build them with your son. Thats what happened with me ...

Sam,

I agree with Bob. Keep them for just a few more years, you might find you & your son really get interested in rocketry. If not, well they will only increase in value.

My 8 yr old son had been bugging me to look at my old rockets, and eventually I relented last year (I just wasn't interested). Well, he got a RTF kit for xmas from his uncle, we launched it & had a blast. He encouraged me to fix up some old ones (including an Interceptor, Red Max, Cherokee-D, Mini-Bomarc, Scout, Gyroc) and launch them, and had more fun. A year later, I've been fully sucked back into the hobby.

Thrustline Aerospace has some great clone kits (don't build your originals just yet).

-Paul