Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Comanche3 damaged on first flight.

With excellent weather conditions last weekend I was able to get out to launch some of my recent rocket builds. One was the Comanche3 that I finished in early December. Being cautious after reading reports on this rocket on this forum and TRF, EMRR, and watching Youtube videos, I decided to launch it single stage to see how this rocket would perform on it's maiden flight. While it launched nicely and flew very stable on a C6-5, and the recovery system deployed normally, the Comanche did what it has done to many others, and fell to the ground so quickly trailing it's dual streamers, that it broke off a fin after hitting the ground with an audible thump! This was on soft grass too. It's all part of the game. I repaired the fin as I've documented in the pics below using wood glue. Not wanting to risk ruining any of the many decals, I hand painted over the new glue fillets instead of masking and spray painting. The repair is far from perfect and it bothers me some that it doesn't look as good as it did before, but I think the Comanche can still be displayed on the shelf at home with the repaired fin turned against the wall. More importantly, I want to launch it again 2 and 3 stage as soon as I can get my hands on some A8-0s. This rocket is so cool looking, it's a great addition to anybody's collection, but it has several gotcha's. One is the prone to breaking sustainer fins. Another is the 2nd stage loss rate, and still another is with the 1st stage; If the coupler is fitting too tight and the friction fit 24mm engine isn't secure in the BT, the 2nd stage engine will kick it out when it ignites, and the 1st stage won't jettison and will burn up from the 2nd stage exhaust. This rocket requires TLC. Also there is a rumor that Estes is discontinuing the Comanche3 after over 20 years of production. They ARE releasing the Mini Comanche that uses 13mm engines, but I'm glad I grabbed this one while I could.

Douglas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  P2050002.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  137.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P2050003.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  179.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P2070001.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  102.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P2070002.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  104.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P2080001.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  100.4 KB  
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Master Modeler

Having ding up rockets is all part of the game. I have many rockets that got dinged up because they fell off of the shelf I have them on before I had a chance to lauch them. Try to imagine them as having battle damage and be proud that they can be flown again although not as pristine as before.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugliss
The repair is far from perfect and it bothers me some that it doesn't look as good as it did before,

(Heavy sigh) Yeah, been there, done that. Quit buying the t-shirts a LONG time ago.
Consider it "patina".

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
snip... It's all part of the game. I repaired the fin as I've documented in the pics below using wood glue. ...

Yep. One of my favorite rockets, the Geo Sat LV, broke a fin or two off every time I flew it. It was just a heavy rocket that landed hard. No worries. Broken fins are a sign that it flys and is flown. So are nicks and scrapes on the ends of fins. Just the way it goes.

When you do break a fin off, try to not handle the rocket or fin around the broken area or repeatedly test fit it. The more pristine you keep the break the better fit you're going to have when you make your repair. Ideally, you could/should only see a hairline crack in the paint after gluing it back on. Often times, it's not worth the trouble to paint over.

My Commanche lasted two flight sessions and in true Commanche fashion—popped a fin on the first day's launching. Second time out... well, you know.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
...the Comanche did what it has done to many others, and fell to the ground so quickly trailing it's dual streamers...
I think the stock streamers are inadequate. I use a 2" mylar streamer, and it's substantially longer than the stock one (don't have the length handy). But I think that's a key change in minimizing flight damage. (And the reflective mylar is much easier to track in the sky on a full stack D-C-C flight.)

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Are parachutes out of the question? Anyone made the change?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott21
Are parachutes out of the question? Anyone made the change?
You can use a chute. Something in the range 12" to 15", maybe a hair smaller. Need to run some sims to be sure.

But this thing can go half a mile high. Tracking a ~50" long (x 2" wide) reflective mylar streamer is much easier than trying to spot the typical plastic chute at that distance.

Plus, streamers don't open with a jerk like chutes can in a slipstream. So there's less chance of getting a separation or shred. Keep in mind, on a 3 stage rocket, by the time the ejection event occurs, the rocket could well be traveling nearly horizontally (depending on conditions) so the rocket could be going quite fast when the laundry comes out. Streamers are more forgiving in that regard.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think the stock streamers are inadequate. I use a 2" mylar streamer, and it's substantially longer than the stock one (don't have the length handy). But I think that's a key change in minimizing flight damage. (And the reflective mylar is much easier to track in the sky on a full stack D-C-C flight.)

Doug

I've used a 4" mylar streamer with success.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Hmmm, I guess going DD is a little too much.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Born Again Born Again Rocketeer

Question

Quote:
More importantly, I want to launch it again 2 and 3 stage as soon as I can get my hands on some A8-0s.

Douglas

Hmmm. Anyone have any experience with using an A8-0 in this bird?