Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Astrosaint

Post The Astrosaint's Economical Youth Rocket Outreach

Astrosaint's Rocketry Outreach Log--1/10/2009

Commencing a log of rocketry outreach is useful since it is nice to leave a record of what has transpired for others to read.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Florida CAP groups based out of the Tampa Bay area have been flying rockets of various types to earn the "pocket rocket" award. The problem they had with the program was cost. Many of the cadets were middle and high schoolers of limited financial means. Many of the parents of these kids have been spending a good portion of their recent years dodging Iraqi sappers. While I am proud of these people, I have to note that the pay is not the greatest. As a result, these military families are a thrifty bunch.

I manage to mitigate the cost by using household discards such as paper towel rolls, Easter eggs, and box cardboard to build rockets. I was quite successful with this endeavor and a number of cadets earned their pocket rockets with my guidance. I have even upgraded to 3" Pringle's can, paper transitions, and cork nosecones.

In the last week week, interest in rockets by the Tampa Bay area CAP people has been renewed. They did some hunting around the WWW and found me at my Lake County, FLA perch.

The group of cadets and leaders are new so I am re-introducing the group to "recycled parts rocketry" I first have to build a sample to send to a certain Aerospace Education officer in Sarasota. He seemed skeptical of the concept when he first heard of it.

Off to the building area. Ad Astra ! MMJR AKA the Astrosaint
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Pretending to be Normal

If it would be any help, I can probably put you in touch with a CAP commander in Columbus, Ohio who is NAR/TRA L3 (If he ever got his L3 launch in this fall).
Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Astrosaint

Default Paper CAP rockets from New Mexico

Astrosaint Model Rocket Outreach Log--1/11/2009

The New Mexico Wing of CAP has a set of cardstock rockets for their aerospace Education program. To say that they are impressive does not cut it. They have paper cutout parts for black and white and color laser printers. They have 2 stage rockets, single stage rockets, and even an egglofter design. Using standard cardstock, I can build one of these rockets for literally no cost !

I tend to be a more bit conventional. I took the building techmiques and parts that were in use circa 1962 and updated them to 21st century usage. I am building a "bulbous nose" bertha model to send to Sarasota CAP Aerospace Ed officer. If I get the chance, I may also send black and white patterns on cardstock of one of the New Mexico rockets.

Astrosaint
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Astrosaint

Default Astrosaint at School

January 15, 2009

My middle school at Mount Dora concluded its winter exams this week. The Tecnology Education/Shop teacher had all of the students who built rockets during the 1st 1/2 of the school year launch them for extra credit. I did RSO duty and launched a pair of paper towel rockets as part of the event. Due to the BT-60 ish size of the tube, Quest B6-4s were my motor of choice. The shop teachers was using A8s. No rocket were lost in 3 days of flying. There was just a few parachute failures.

Ad Astra ! The Astrosaint