Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Model Minutes US -out of business?

Just perusing UMRS and he has one of the model minutes kits listed but I recall they had quite a few interesting kits. Are they out of business? Any plans anywhere to clone if they are out of business? Read on EMRR that they had a free download of a paper rocket but could not find a link....
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 PM
BP Mafia

Pretty sure they're gone. Chan Stevens was building them back in the QUARK days, but I think they sold out to Nick who then closed out the stock.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

I bought a bunch of Model Minutes kits when they were winding down.

I started building one, but kind of lost interest. I have so many other models of my own design to build.

If anyone is really cranked, send me a PM and we can work something out.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Rocket Huckster

We bought the rest of Nicks Stock to finish selling off. But to the best of my knowledge he still "holds" the rights to the kits.
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
We bought the rest of Nicks Stock to finish selling off. But to the best of my knowledge he still "holds" the rights to the kits.

He does, though I bought the company's domain from him when I bought EMRR. I've talked with Nick about buying the rights to the kits. But, we didn't get into serious discussions.

I have access to some resources that I think could be used to produce the kits and even make them a little better than they were. But, I'm not sure if there's enough interest in the kits to make it worthwhile.

-- Roger
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Old BAR

Where might I see them?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Rocket Huckster

The G-75 is the only one left in stock you can see it at

Model Minutes
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Whoa, like that. If they are still buyable next month, maybe.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

I've built just about every kit Model Minutes offered, before and during Nick/EMRR's ownership of them. They were pretty neat kits and held up fairly well in flight. There were a few things, as a general rule, I'd plan on replacing/improving upon though if you build any:

--ditch the chute, especially the cotton string shroud lines, use ANYTHING else you have. They're that bad...

--ditch the 3-d glasses. They're worthless, better to just muddle through the slightly blurry directions without them. I think this was originally some feeble effort to prevent people from trying to just photocopy the kits (meaning you had to buy through them to get the glasses), but I'm pretty sure Nick put a stop to that once he bought them.

--many kits (including the G-75) use laminated foam panels. The kits have been stored a long time, been through several moves by now, so don't be surprised if the foam is slightly dented/crushed. Plan on swinging by a craft store to replace, not worth trying to salvage if dinged.

--use a fresh blade. You'll be doing a LOT of cutting. Don't use scissors, even though it's paper. Knife is a cleaner, straighter cut.

--Lots of bending, score the backside (interior) of bend lines first using the non-cutting side of the knife blade.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
I've built just about every kit Model Minutes offered, before and during Nick/EMRR's ownership of them. They were pretty neat kits and held up fairly well in flight. There were a few things, as a general rule, I'd plan on replacing/improving upon though if you build any:

--ditch the chute, especially the cotton string shroud lines, use ANYTHING else you have. They're that bad...

--ditch the 3-d glasses. They're worthless, better to just muddle through the slightly blurry directions without them. I think this was originally some feeble effort to prevent people from trying to just photocopy the kits (meaning you had to buy through them to get the glasses), but I'm pretty sure Nick put a stop to that once he bought them.

--many kits (including the G-75) use laminated foam panels. The kits have been stored a long time, been through several moves by now, so don't be surprised if the foam is slightly dented/crushed. Plan on swinging by a craft store to replace, not worth trying to salvage if dinged.

--use a fresh blade. You'll be doing a LOT of cutting. Don't use scissors, even though it's paper. Knife is a cleaner, straighter cut.

--Lots of bending, score the backside (interior) of bend lines first using the non-cutting side of the knife blade.

You forgot one.

--If your recovery skills are not that mad, aim for the nearest dumpster.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper