Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Elmer's Glue-All separates

Not that I want to start another debate about which glue is better for what purpose, but I have a specific question about Elmer's Glue-All. I tried searching several places about this, both general Internet and these forums, and can't find anything specifically relating to this. Just wondering if anyone here knows about this.

Every bottle of Elmer's Glue-All that I have purchased in the last year or two, in any size bottle, from any store, has separated. It sits for a while and when I go to use it, I get out a translucent clear liquid instead of the opaque white. Looking at the contents of the bottle I can kind of make out seeing a separation of the translucent clear liquid on top (not a whole lot, but enough to notice) and the opaque white underneath. I've even tried pouring out that clear portion so I'm down to the opaque white, which works for right then when I need it, but next time I need it some more clear liquid has separated out again.

Can I just use the translucent liquid? Is it just as strong as the opaque white part?

It's too thick in the bottle to try to shake and mix all back up like one would do with separated paint in a can. I guess the other option is to pour the entire thing into a jar to be able to stir, and use a brush or stick or something to apply it. But that seems like it shouldn't be necessary (or they wouldn't sell it in a squeeze bottle).

I'm to the point where it's useless to buy Elmer's Glue-All any longer, unless it's okay to use the clear liquid part.

Otherwise, any recommendations for another white glue replacement?

Where this comes from is that I have been reading other glue threads. I had been using yellow wood glue for pretty much everything (except where a particular glue is explicitly called for). Then I read about how yellow glue shrinks, and leaves the pits in fillets, and causes the body tube to scrunch around motor mounts. So I'm now going to use yellow glue for attaching external parts using the double-glue method (fins, launch lugs, etc.), the Titebond Quick & Thick for fillets, and regular white glue for internal stuff (motor mounts primarily). But I'm really frustrated with the Elmer's Glue-All separation.

Just to clarify, I don't build anything too big. I only build Estes and similar type models.

Thanks much!