Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Default Dumbing Down

I heard on the news today that 40% of Florida's fourth graders falied the reading/writing portion of the F-CAT, a stupid standardized test that this state uses tobas a lot of it's desicions, about how to run the schools. The big solution! Make the passing grades lower. Insstead of teaching our children to read and write they just want to change the passing standard. Dumb everything down so everyone passes. That is like everyone in sports gets a trophy. Even if they suck they get a trophy. Don't get me started.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Totally As-inine !
And people wonder why we rank so low in world Math & Science scores....
I don't blame it on the teachers either...they have higher qualifications generally than they ever have been. 99% of it is on APATHETIC parents that in this generation feel no responsibility in the child's educational process. They expect the school to do everything. NONSENSE ! If you do not want to play the primary active role in educating your child (YES, PRIMARY !) do NOT have them and sentence the child down a path of being a leech on society. One has to have a license to drive and vote but any idiot with zero ability to properly support a child can have them. That is just plain WRONG.

Dumbing down ANYTHING is NEVER a proper solution to ANYTHING !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Master Modeler

GH, one thing I have to disagree with you on there. **** near every education major I have seen who graduated college in the last 20 years are the most poorly educated, ignorant, and the most highly politically indoctrinated college grads I know of. They and the education colleges they graduated from are at least 50% to blame for the piss poor state of American education.

BTW...my wife is a substitute teacher, and her sister is a full time teacher and they agree with these opinions. What we have is not a public education system, but an indoctrination system.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Banned

You guys don't want me to chime in here do you? I am itching oh I am chomping at the BIT ... but I have decided to start living stress free ... that is a load of BS.

I need to go pick up my lunch, and when I get back ... oh boy!

Stay thirsty my friends...

Jonathan
Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemmcssret
I heard on the news today that 40% of Florida's fourth graders falied the reading/writing portion of the F-CAT, a stupid standardized test that this state uses tobas a lot of it's desicions, about how to run the schools. The big solution! Make the passing grades lower. Insstead of teaching our children to read and write they just want to change the passing standard. Dumb everything down so everyone passes. That is like everyone in sports gets a trophy. Even if they suck they get a trophy. Don't get me started.

Everything I am about to type is fact, it really happened. There is no hyperbole, no embellishment. Everything happened as I am typing it now.
Back in 1997, I went down to Los Angeles from San Jose CA, with Bill Colburn (SORAC inventor and longtime amateur rocketeer: http://www.thunderman.net/about/sci...eam_colburn.php ) to attend an amateur rocket symposium. I think it was an X-Prize event.

Afterwards, the movie, Starship Troopers was premiering and we took in the show; after all, if you are not a Robert A. Heinlein fan, you really aren’t a sci-fi fan.
While standing in line waiting to enter the theater, we starting talking to this Caucasian woman (I really do need to reference race, you will see later). She was middle aged and it turned out she taught high school in South Central Los Angeles (a predominantly black/Afro-American) area of Los Angeles.

This teacher started to discuss test scores of her students; stated that they were D or F caliber, and she was feed up and tried to push as many as she could through her class advancing them because she felt burdened and over worked.
Next she discussed her sabbatical vacation to Europe or something like that and we started to lose interest; the doors were opening and we were seating.

I thought to myself those students don’t have a chance; they come from homes where the parent(s) don’t care, the teachers don’t care, and society doesn’t care. Now I am in NO WAY making any excuses for any teen, black or white, but if I were in a similar situation, gangs, drugs, guns, quick money would be the order of the day. I myself was in similar situations, but I got EXTREMELY lucky, winning the lottery lucky, and my interests in model rocketry kept me just barely out of boys camp, foster homes, 'juvy' jail, and even prison/morgue. Running away from home was my only escape. I think this is why I horde rockets and aerospace related items … better than 6 foot tall mounds of cat dung…

Quick true story: One day I had been suspended from school yet again … not sure what for, fighting, not taking orders, but I didn’t want my parents to know so I ran away from home. I actually went from Gardena CA, all the way to Cox Leisure in Santa Ana CA, hopped the fence (I wanted to go where the rockets and planes were) and was confronted by a guard there. I guess I must have looked like one of the older black guards there because he asked me if I was relaying a message to so-in-so, and I said yes, and that he should call home. The guard thanked me, and I hopped back over the fence. I was near a building where they must have made the foam bodies for their Cessna 152 .049 powered planes because there were several that looked like ‘trash’ stacked on the side of the building. And that was my one and only visit to the Cox plant down in Orange County CA.

With that said, I was extremely lucky as a youth, I actually do believe in the ever-after, guardian angels and life after death to some degree (God). But this isn’t a thread about me; it’s about all the people out there fighting and struggling to make it. White, black, red, brown, yellow, we all share the same messed up circumstances. We all have to find a way to make it. I think a phrase I learned from Michael Savage sums it up: ‘Living well is the best revenge’; sad but true.

So what does this have to do with education here in America and the value we place on it? Well I started this posting with a little back ground history and allowing the reader to know that education from this rocketeer is the reason I was able to make it out of the ghetto; knowledge is POWER!

Now, being power it can also be used to UNIMPOWER people as is being done all across this country.

Now you the white reader of this posting might be saying, ‘Well Jonathan I can understand your concern as a black man for the plight of your kind in the ghetto, but my son or daughter is A-OK and has nothing to fear!’; how wrong you are.
What is being done is a systematic well I can’t use the word I typically use, but it rhymes with, never mind use whatever word you see fit, but the ignorance in the class room IS NOT BY ACCIDENT! It is on purpose.

Now you might be saying, ‘OK Dunbar, you mean to tell us there is a national conspiracy to make my son or daughter a fool to be controlled by the almighty Federal government … yeah right!’ That is EXACTLY what I am trying to get across to you. It isn’t about the empathy displayed by the teacher who I met with Bill Colburn in Los Angeles, but it is a conscious decision from people who control the dollars and the lesson plans used to teach your children even in those expensive gated community areas :

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.co...s/DDDoA.sml.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZJoCfgAEuE

There is more lots more … don’t roll your eyes, or sit there and think, he we go again, this Dunbar guy never shuts up, seems to have an answer/opinion of everything … why can’t he just blow away…

People, take it from a ‘playa’ someone who grew up with violence, gangs, beatings, hustles, cons, you are all being played. You sit there thinking that freedom is forever and nothing will ever change. You are WRONG. History proves me right and you friggin WRONG. I don’t care what your educational level is or how many $$$ you bring home every month; you are totally wrong sitting there thinking that life is a bowl of friggin cherries!

America is under attack. Marriage, Christ, Morals, Ethics … it’s all under attack. How do you destroy a nation? Answer: First you attack its children for they are the most likely to fall for the con. Next you destroy authority; this is what was done in the late 50’s through the 60’s. Now the very, VERY same people who were burning bras, at love-ins, at LSD parties are now sitting in positions of power all across the United States of America … even your own beloved Barack Hussain Obama admits in his oral book that he snorted cocaine and smoked weed (to show you how dumb he is, he actually snorted the coke and is DUMB enough to admit it … well look at America today, it’s OK.)

Have I ever hit a bong, smoked a joint, or put paper under my tongue? Maybe, but I am smart enough to keep that stuff PRIVATE and not flaunt it like a badge of honor!
Look the point is that this nation is transforming right in front of our eyes. It’s not about defeating Jim Crow in the South … some of you reading this remember as either children or young adults, white only seating at the bus terminal, colored only drinking fountains, and all the rest. Those things had to be uprooted and destroyed; separate but equal [sic]. But what you are allowing today is tearing the very fabric of this country apart and I for one can’t take it anymore!!! I had either head for the egress (relocate to another land) or I promise you I will become a domestic terrorist at some point … I MEAN THIS!

We are being systematically reduced to nothing but workers for the State and no one, well very few of us are willing to make ourselves targets by posting publically on sites like this. Folks, I have been audited 2 times over the last 7 years and I believe it to be from my association with the Tea Party and posting on the Arizona Tea Party forum. Folks, I am SCARED!!! I am SCARED OF MY OWN FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!!! Doesn’t anyone care; doesn’t anyone else see what is happening? Am I all alone on this!?

I am at my wits end. I see what is coming, and it doesn’t take a rocket genius to see it. You just pick up a history book, see the things that have led to other civilizations ending up in the ‘waste bucket of history’ and you see America right there alongside the other great civilizations in recorded history.

You are being screwed and some of you are so dang smart, you don’t even see it…

Jonathan

Last edited by Cohetero-negro : 05-15-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

I would have to agree with that.

This country has become an Oligarchy. With a few rich running things and the rest of us are serfs to do their bidding. Why do you think they spent the last 30 years getting rid of unions and the middle class?

Of course, I still say some of it got started when women came up the ladder. The first thing they did was dummy down the college classes by getting rid of the hard stuff they didn't like.

Some of you guys talk in the other threads about not having engineers at NASA that can figure out how to duplicate what the Saturn rockets did. Maybe it is because they do not teach real engineering any more. Students spend to much time in Women's History and Multicultural Behavior classes.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I would have to agree with that.

This country has become an Oligarchy. With a few rich running things and the rest of us are serfs to do their bidding. Why do you think they spent the last 30 years getting rid of unions and the middle class?

Of course, I still say some of it got started when women came up the ladder. The first thing they did was dummy down the college classes by getting rid of the hard stuff they didn't like.

Some of you guys talk in the other threads about not having engineers at NASA that can figure out how to duplicate what the Saturn rockets did. Maybe it is because they do not teach real engineering any more. Students spend to much time in Women's History and Multicultural Behavior classes.

I didn't want to go here, but you are correct.

I pledge allegiance to the United States of America ... one nation under God ... for some of us here, that 'one nation under God' comment I just typed made you frown ... and that is why we are losing our nation.

I am not a bible-thumper (used to be ... have to tell you about my days around Lake Merit in Oakland California with a band of born again Christians; our Pilgrim Progress books, King James version Bibles, and shouts of, 'you are all going to hell!'

Ah... those were the days!

Jonathan
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Master Modeler

I'm old enough to remember the pledge before "under god" was added. How did the U.S. get through WWII without it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
I didn't want to go here, but you are correct.

I pledge allegiance to the United States of America ... one nation under God ... for some of us here, that 'one nation under God' comment I just typed made you frown ... and that is why we are losing our nation.

I am not a bible-thumper (used to be ... have to tell you about my days around Lake Merit in Oakland California with a band of born again Christians; our Pilgrim Progress books, King James version Bibles, and shouts of, 'you are all going to hell!'

Ah... those were the days!

Jonathan
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Olivola
I'm old enough to remember the pledge before "under god" was added. How did the U.S. get through WWII without it?

Added during the McCarthy era. Same time as IGWT was added to paper currency.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default response

Wow. I had no idea this topic would be a thread. Having read the opinions, I will choose my
words extremely carefully. I teach 3rd grade in Floirda. We were told earlier
in the year by the state and county that it was predicted that FCAT scores in all areas
Reading, Writing, and Math would be lower this year due to the fact that the state was
raising the bar. Proficieny in writing was increased from a score of about 3.0 to 4.0.
Capitalization, punctuation, and spelling were to be counted as part of the score for the first
time ever in the history of the writing FCAT. An "emergency session" was held in Tallahassee
to figure out what to do. It was decided that the proficiency level would be dropped to 3.0
for this year only. Committees will be researching to see why test scores were so low and
what will be done about it for next year.

For Math, Reading, and Science it was the same test this year as last year, but students will
have to score a higher number of points to receive a passing grade. It was predicted that
there would be a lot more F schools and C schools as well.

I will refrain from giving any personal opinions. The info. I have stated above is as factual
as I can put it.