Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Craftsman

Default Printing Fin Patterns

I posted on TRF, didn't get a response, so I'll ask the pros here......When you print a fin template that is quite large, bigger than the paper, you have a small margin around the sheet. Do I just need to trim the margin right where the line starts and then tape the sheets together? Or does it make an overlap area? Does that make sense?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidtmp
I posted on TRF, didn't get a response, so I'll ask the pros here......When you print a fin template that is quite large, bigger than the paper, you have a small margin around the sheet. Do I just need to trim the margin right where the line starts and then tape the sheets together? Or does it make an overlap area? Does that make sense?

In RockSim 7 and 8, I believe there is a 1/2" overlap area for pattern alignment when you have to span more than one sheet. This has been eliminated in RockSim 9, however -- there is NO direct printing feature for patterns anymore. You export the SVG file, then open it up in a program like Corel Draw, where you do your editing before the final print.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up Hash Marks

For those without a drawing program .

When I have printed long fin patterns in the past that print up on a two or three sheets of paper I just carefully tape them togetherafter cutting them out. The joint/intersection from sheet to sheet is the corner hash marks near the outside edges of the sheets. These hash marks are very accurate as long as your cut is. Also be careful not to crumple or shretch the paper and you should be fine. Above keep the paper flat.

Hope this poor explanation helps, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Craftsman

Thanks for the replys, it helps. You know, I think I did notice the hash marks, but there is some extra on another page that is throwing me. Oh well, I may have to get the trial of RS 9 and see how it is, I guess they are still doing trial periods. I need to learn how to use GIMP on some of this stuff. Just haven't had the time lately to work on that.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Old and in the way

"In RockSim 7 and 8, I believe there is a 1/2" overlap area for pattern alignment when you have to span more than one sheet. This has been eliminated in RockSim 9, however -- there is NO direct printing feature for patterns anymore. You export the SVG file, then open it up in a program like Corel Draw, where you do your editing before the final print."

Funny, I just printed a 12" long root fin in RockSim 9. Worked the same as in RS8.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
"In RockSim 7 and 8, I believe there is a 1/2" overlap area for pattern alignment when you have to span more than one sheet. This has been eliminated in RockSim 9, however -- there is NO direct printing feature for patterns anymore. You export the SVG file, then open it up in a program like Corel Draw, where you do your editing before the final print."

Funny, I just printed a 12" long root fin in RockSim 9. Worked the same as in RS8.

Funny, I just located the "Print Fin Pattern button..."

Wonder how it got there???

I'm getting old faster than I want to. My brain used to have all of six brain cells rubbing happily. Now I'm down to five, and they're not on speaking terms anymore...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Fin Editor Screen in Vista.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  264.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Whooda Thunkit.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  236.3 KB  

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Craftsman

Craig, just go with the story "They must have included it on the last update" and let it go.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Forest Sprite

I always draw the fin patterns first, either in another program or via "analog" methods ( ), and then take measurements from the drawing and translate them into plan points for the fins in RockSim. So I don't need to print fin templates from RS, because the fins are derived from printed templates already. The "Fin Designer" in RockSim is too crude and awkward to use for actually designing fins from scratch within the program itself.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Just another BAR!

Question

Mark,

What other programs do you use to draw fin patterns? I agree that the fin designer is one of Rocksim's current weaknesses. It's ok, but could be better. I've tried Microsoft Visio and Google Sketch-Up with some success.

... Bill
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Mark,

What other programs do you use to draw fin patterns? I agree that the fin designer is one of Rocksim's current weaknesses. It's ok, but could be better. I've tried Microsoft Visio and Google Sketch-Up with some success.

... Bill

Bill,

I use my Swiss army knife of a graphics program, The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) for Windows XP. This also happens to be the only one that I can afford... ( ). It is free and open-source.

From the GIMP home page:
"GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages."
You can download the current version (2.6.6) here.

MarkII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  GIMP Screen Grab - Sandhawk fin.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  106.6 KB  
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011