Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Bob-

Thanks for taking the time to share these images with us. Now we all won't have to cave and get that one listed on ebay for $350!

One question: what particular painting treatment is given for the SM? I was hoping for some type of special decal/wrap for the SM, showing at least a decent depiction of the Apollo 11 SM.

In the old Centuri kit, as many recall, there was the chrome wrapper that was actually a depiction of the Apollo 4 SM (first Saturn V flight). However, in all the Estes releases the SM decor has been simply full coverage silver paint.

Is that the case again for this round, or are there more specific painting/detailing directions?

Thanks again,

Earl

Stickershock does full wraps for the 1:100 and 1:70 Saturn 1B. I’m sure you could get just the Service Module wrap. His vinyl decals are very nice.

Another possible source is accur8 (John Pursley), but I thought I’d seen that his were for Semroc Saturn 1B (1:70).

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Stickershock does full wraps for the 1:100 and 1:70 Saturn 1B. I’m sure you could get just the Service Module wrap. His vinyl decals are very nice.

Another possible source is accur8 (John Pursley), but I thought I’d seen that his were for Semroc Saturn 1B (1:70).

You could use this Service Module wrap in this thread.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...00+Saturn+wraps
Go to post #24 and use number 10 down PDF marked Module.

Just a though.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

I have a wrap that was posted on the forum here (well, a full set of pdf wraps for the Saturn 1b posted a handful of years back by 'the Mole', if I remember correctly). However, there are some differences mission-to-mission on the SMs, though I do not know right off hand what the specific layout of the Apollo 11 SM would be. But, from these most recent posts, there are at least several possible sources. I do think Pursely's offerings currently are for the 1/70 Saturn 1b.

Actually, I was just mildly curious if Estes had done anything different on this model's SM than they had done for all their past Saturn Vs, which as noted earlier has been a fully silver painted SM with no other detailing (aside from the RCS quads).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
You could use this Service Module wrap in this thread.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...00+Saturn+wraps
Go to post #24 and use number 10 down PDF marked Module.

Just a though.

...and I finish my last post to see I had guessed right! Ahh, not all gray matter memory cells are gone...yet!!

But yes, that was an excellent set of wraps I recalled you had posted. I downloaded them at the time, but it is good to bring that thread back up for those who might have mssed it then.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
...and I finish my last post to see I had guessed right! Ahh, not all gray matter memory cells are gone...yet!!

But yes, that was an excellent set of wraps I recalled you had posted. I downloaded them at the time, but it is good to bring that thread back up for those who might have mssed it then.

Earl

Thanks, Earl for your kind words on my Saturn 1B wraps. For further reference, I gave Stickershock permission to use my wraps for his Saturn 1b 1/70 and 1/100 scale vinyl wraps.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Hmmm, looks like the “I” in UNITED is out of alignment. Not hard to fix but seems odd. Could just be the loss of resolution so we’ll all see for ourselves after delivery 😎

I’ll check my old 30th anniversary kit I’m building, but I think all the previous issues of #2157 kits have the misaligned “I”. In his blog, Chris Michielssen pointed this out and cut above and below the letter and shifted it over.

UPDATE:
My kit has perfectly aligned “I”s on the decal. Maybe just subsequent re-issues of the #2157. Those newer ones I have are still sealed so I am not sure which are affected.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 12-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Any decisions yet on which of the three versions you’ll build?

At first, I thought I would go in order with the "UUUU".

Then I thought I should go in alphabetical order so "AAAA" version first.

However, my last name starts with 'S' so the "SSSS" should be first.

I am now very confused.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Bob-

Thanks for taking the time to share these images with us. Now we all won't have to cave and get that one listed on ebay for $350!

One question: what particular painting treatment is given for the SM? I was hoping for some type of special decal/wrap for the SM, showing at least a decent depiction of the Apollo 11 SM.

In the old Centuri kit, as many recall, there was the chrome wrapper that was actually a depiction of the Apollo 4 SM (first Saturn V flight). However, in all the Estes releases the SM decor has been simply full coverage silver paint.

Is that the case again for this round, or are there more specific painting/detailing directions?

Thanks again,

Earl

Earl,

I looked at the finishing instructions for the new Estes Saturn V.

There is no chrome wrap-around.

The instructions show to paint the Service Module silver. A marking guide is included to show placement of the RCS quads.

That's it.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Master Modeler

This is the same decal sheet used in the past two offerings of this kit.

John Boren
Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Master Modeler

I am certain someone has pointed this out before, but the USA on the decal sheet is in the wrong font. That seems an odd oversight considering that decals (at least in the context of this kit) are the easiest thing to get right. Or, am I missing something?