Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If a 3# rocket comes in ballistic at a trailer park through a trailer the first thing to do is give them your insurance information. That is the purpose of insurance and why one carries it.

This scenario begs the question: Why would anyone fly a rocket that weighs 3lb anywhere near the proximity of a trailer park ??? That is just stoopyd.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
If a 3# rocket comes in ballistic at a trailer park through a trailer the first thing to do is give them your insurance information. That is the purpose of insurance and why one carries it.

This scenario begs the question: Why would anyone fly a rocket that weighs 3lb anywhere near the proximity of a trailer park ??? That is just stoopyd.

Who said anything about a trailer park? I fly on a cattle ranch that has a couple of inhabited trailer houses on or near the property.

And the purpose of a deductable is keep one from handing out their insurance information.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
But we're on a slippery slope here. There's no doubt a conventional 3FNC could be problematic. OTOH, a saucer on an H97 ain't going 1500' anywhere except in my car

Agreed, just trying to make a point.

I agree that the rule is not well-thought-out as well. But rules exist to service the lowest common denominator.... or as I like to say, the most uncommon idiot.

Not everybody flies as well as you or has years of experience. Or maybe they do and just have 3 minutes of some horribly bad luck. YouTube is filled with moments like that....

So where does one draw the line? There are a lot of things that can happen in this hobby that an "oops, my bad" just doesn't cover.

We are flying off a guy's land, where his house is, where his family lives, where he makes his living.... We should be doing everything we can to ensure his and their safety and livelihood. Not crying, "Ooh boohoo, I have to log my flights and follow some rules - I want my personal freedom!!!!"

My $.02.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Like I said before, I really suspect it depends on the size of the group, and how well they know each other.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Misfire Alley's do NOT preclude the use of Flight Cards or RSO/LCO supervision and check-in procedures.

A Misfire Alley ONLY means that the LCO/RSO controls the launching by individuals rather than controls launching the individual's rocket himself.

The NAR still recommends the usage of Flight Cards, RSO/LCO supervision and check-in procedures even when using a Misfire Alley launch setup.

NAR Section 7: Flight Operations

Ok... preachin to the choir here dude! I'm not OPPOSED to flight cards at all... I guess I wasn't very clear...

Whatever yall decide to do is fine... I think I said that before. You're right-- data is a good thing (usually-- don't get me started on USDA crop reports and how they screw farmers, but that's a seperate issue).

Later! OL JR
Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
BAR

Yeah, we've had a few moments like that...

I've had a two-stage Maniac (booster stage made out of a previously core-sampled Maniac that left it about 4 inches long afterwards) and had it tip off the rod in the breeze and cruise missile down the farm, ignite the upperstage, and impact about 1/8 mile downrange under thrust into hard packed parched earth, and demolish itself. Fortunately there were only two of us flying that day, and it was one of my first launches after returning from pre-BAR neverland...

We also had a flight of a fairly good size MPR bird with an APCP motor in it, launched off a Mantis pad that failed right at liftoff-- the pad leg or swivel let go and the rod tilted over to about 45 degrees off horizontal right at liftoff, like a Katyusha rocket... low-elevation ballistic flight terminating behind the mobile home across the road, and watching it was QUITE a high pucker-factor moment lemme tell ya because it looked like it was going to be a direct hit at high velocity. Luckily it completely overflew the houses by nearly 1/4 mile and was actually found by the flyer and myself in a grain field behind the houses in question. The pad had some broken parts from a leg not fully seated or something IIRC...

Stuff happens, and that's something we just have to deal with, and expect to a certain extent. BUT, we DO need to be mindful and pay attention to try to MINIMIZE such occurrances to the MAXIMUM extent possible. That's something we've worked hard to address, not with kneejerk reactions by some folks who would outlaw allowing ANY rod tilt at all, presuming that would preclude any 'cruise missile' flights (it won't) but by thoroughly examining the situation and locating the flightline to be parallel with the prevailing winds on the day of the launch, no matter what 'weird angle' that puts it at, so that any flights that cruise missile or weathercock excessively will be flying upwind or downwind and parallel to the flightline, instead of away from it or towards it. I mentioned this in the thread on RP about the "scariest CATO ever" that dusted the crowd with 10 pounds + of BB's after the motor blew the rocket to smithereens and the altitude and wind blew the cloud of debris into the flightline, spectator area, and parking area...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
B.A.R. and RC Geek

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramjet
Default 1.6X Mars Lander Ballistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Except in the case of a ballistic recovery. It may not go 1500' up but what if it goes 1500' out?

Sorry but the roof of a trailer home is NOT going to hold up to a 3 lb rocket coming in ballistic.

Granted the odds are small, but exist nonetheless. What are you going to tell the owner, "oops my bad"?

OK, I did the Rocksim for this:
I had to do so for a waiver at the launch I'll attend later this month. They wanted Rail buttons on all rockets. The Mars Lander does not lend itself to this. It is designed with the rod going through the rocket body.
With Rod angled 30deg in no winds, so it flies ballistic at rod angle, no deployment, H97, IE worst case Scenario. (Note that a 30 degree rod angle is not allowed, We are simulating rod whip)
it impacts 1100 feet downrange. Wind reduces that distance as it always flies into the wind.
Flying into the wind with a draggy rocket like the lander will reduce the range.

If I angle the rod to allow it to weathercock into the wind and get deployment, it will land in the pad area. And I know I'm gonna jinx myself here, but so Far I've never had a non-deployment. I have had a blowby turn 1 of the twin chutes into a ball of melted goop.
It landed harder, and bounced higher, and still stayed on it's feet!
The farthest I've ever walked to recover this rocket is 600 feet. (got a wild gust at launch and it weathercocked 90deg from normal wind direction.

A 1500 foot minimum site for this rocket/motor combo is silly.
But those are the rules, so I live with em.

Now my new 2X with a J350, that's a whole different animal. :-D

Ramjet