Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Hawks

Default Do you have a ACE !! ??

DARS Club Member
Just Lookin' To Have Some FUN !!!
Hawks Hobby
Old 06-29-2006, 02:57 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkshobby

Excellent! That sure looks like it will do the trick. I don't know if I have an Ace in the area, but if I do, I'm dusting off my Porta-Pad to tale along for the fitting, just to be on the safe side.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 AM
BP Mafia

HOLY SCHLITZ! I drive right past one on the way to the VOA for our Quark launches. If that one is closed, there's another on the other side of the park. A little out of the way for a casual drive with gas at $3+ a gallon, but I'll definitely stop for one on the way to the field on July 8th.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 06-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Out To Launch

I don't know how large your Ace stores are, but around here I'd probably have to ask if they could special order it for me. Unfortunately I've had a problem with other low demand items in the past because they've told me they have a required minimum quantity on their orders and don't want the extra stock sitting on the shelf 'til armageddon.

Of course I don't see the problem with that because it's TOMORROW!!!
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Dazed and Confused

There was an ACE store about 10 miles from here. I went to have a look a few days ago and they were out of business. I'll have to find another one somewhere else.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Those batteries also used to be available in a 12V version with the exact same case & post dimensions. I always used to get the 12V ones instead of the 6v....they were good enough to provide reliable 3-engine cluster ignition !
I think Ray-O-Vac used to make them under the "outdoorsman" label in the late 70's through the mid 80's....the cases were metallic green in color.
I may actually still have a dead one at my dad's house.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Those batteries also used to be available in a 12V version with the exact same case & post dimensions. I always used to get the 12V ones instead of the 6v....they were good enough to provide reliable 3-engine cluster ignition !
I think Ray-O-Vac used to make them under the "outdoorsman" label in the late 70's through the mid 80's....the cases were metallic green in color.
I may actually still have a dead one at my dad's house.

They still make 12v versions. I haven't seen 6v or 12v batteries in stock anywhere locally. I'd have to replace the little continuity light with a 12v bulb if I found a 12v battery.

I won't be launching clusters off of it, so the voltage isn't needed. In fact, I won't be doing much launching on it at all unless I can find another one for display. I'll probably launch the Screaming Eagle off of it a few times and take a bunch of pictures, then put it on display until I can find another one at a decent price.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'll probably launch the Screaming Eagle off of it a few times and take a bunch of pictures, then put it on display until I can find another one at a decent price.

Here's a possibility -- build a "dummy" battery for display purposes with terminals that match properly, painted and decalled to match one of the old batteries of that era. That way, you don't have to worry about acid and other nasty compounds leaking out with time. Run wires through the hidden parts of the "battery" to a 12V power source somewhere "off camera" for those "glamour shots"...

Addendum: Inside the fake "battery", simply jumper the two terminals inside the box. Fill the box with sand or some other weight to prevent it from moving around in a gust of wind. Hook the real battery up near your hand controller, "in series". Does the same thing, but eliminates having an extra set of wires where they shouldn't be...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 06-29-2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Another suggestion for those wires...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Addendum: Inside the fake "battery", simply jumper the two terminals inside the box. Fill the box with sand or some other weight to prevent it from moving around in a gust of wind. Hook the real battery up near your hand controller, "in series". Does the same thing, but eliminates having an extra set of wires where they shouldn't be...

Yet Another Addendum...

Inside the fake "battery", permanently install 10 NiCd "C" cells in series for 12V, or 5 NiCd "D" cells for 6V. Now you can recharge that "battery" and not have anything that looks even remotely out of place...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

I found a 6v Rayovac with the old style blue and yellow paint at a battery store about 40 miles from here. Cost was just under $9. I wish I could have found an original color Eveready 731, which is used in the catalog photos sans the logos and print, but this will do just fine and was my #2 choice. It's paint design and color is the same as when the Power Pad was being produced. The third option was to luck out on an old dead Mallory battery (now called Duracell). Now for the secret...the casing is plastic, not steel like the old ones. Shhh....don't tell anybody.