Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
I don't have the original electronic files for this book--the layout was in Ready-Set-Go, and while it is possible the files exist, I don't have a machine that can read the disks or run the software.

That said, I would give the NAR permission to put up a PDF of a scan of "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" for free download on their website if said pdf got into their hands (I don't have a functional scanner at the moment).

Peter Alway

I pulled the wire binding off my copy last night and will take it to work and use the auto-feed scanner to scan it. Might take a few tries to get a really good scan (light/dark, adjust f/ descreening, etc)... I will run OCR on it to help make it searchable and that seems to reduce the file size. I am thinking it will have to be broken in parts so it will email...where shall I send the files?
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
I pulled the wire binding off my copy last night and will take it to work and use the auto-feed scanner to scan it. Might take a few tries to get a really good scan (light/dark, adjust f/ descreening, etc)... I will run OCR on it to help make it searchable and that seems to reduce the file size. I am thinking it will have to be broken in parts so it will email...where shall I send the files?

David, first off thanks so much for taking the time to do the scan work. Like I said the door to this book is open and I don't want it to close yet. Peter said if he had a PDF download of the book he would give it to the NAR for a free download. So my thinking is you could send Peter the download and he could send it to NAR with his permission to use it. I think that the NAR would not take the word of just anyone it was OK to use it. I would think it would have to be Peter.

Hopefully, he will read this and send you a message with his email address to send it to.
Or you might send him a privet message from here to ask for his address and explain the details.
I'm really not sure what to do at this point but I'm sure something can be worked out.

Once again this shows the great people we have on this forum. Thanks for stepping up.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Thank you. I started on my copy last night and realized it was going to take a month of Sundays to scan nearly 100 pages one at a time.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:

OUCH!!! That poor book!

Well, I guess it's too late to undo that now.

You can send your really good scan to petealway (at symbol) aol (dot, period, or decimal) com.

I'll be off at NARAM for the next week, so there's no rush. I might even have a chance to talk to some of the NAR board to let them know what's coming. I don't know how my internet access will be for the week, so don't be surprised by radio silence.

After drifting away from the model rocketry world in recent years, it's really nice to know my work is still appreciated. Thanks for all the kind words on this thread!

Peter Alway
Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
OUCH!!! That poor book!

Well, I guess it's too late to undo that now.

You can send your really good scan to petealway (at symbol) aol (dot, period, or decimal) com.

I'll be off at NARAM for the next week, so there's no rush. I might even have a chance to talk to some of the NAR board to let them know what's coming. I don't know how my internet access will be for the week, so don't be surprised by radio silence.

After drifting away from the model rocketry world in recent years, it's really nice to know my work is still appreciated. Thanks for all the kind words on this thread!

Peter Alway

When G Harry asked all rocketeers to "Pay It Forward", you certainly embraced that! I will work on this and get it to you...

I sent some unsolicited scans of OOP documents to NARTS before, and never heard back, so if you could provide "introductions" it might be helpful! I am pretty sure they would want your assurances that this has your blessing
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Thank you. I started on my copy last night and realized it was going to take a month of Sundays to scan nearly 100 pages one at a time.

Mine is the red cover. Yours is the older version?? It would be interesting to see the differences somewhere down the road...I wish auto-feed scanners were more affordable for home use

Our librarian at work is currently scanning a bunch of old bound documents...I am talking book binding, not spiral bound...so I may have to fight her to get access to the scanner (j/k) Talk about a bunch of work!
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Master Modeler

At this time I would like to give a big thanks to mwtoelle, Jetlag, MarkB, Chris Russell, tbzep,Doug Sams, blackshire, LeeR, rocketguy101, and a SLUTE to Peter Alway for the support of this thread. Once again with the support of this forum, we have come together to accomplish and preserve a piece of rocketry history. So other will be able to read and learn from the past.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Mine is the red cover. Yours is the older version?? It would be interesting to see the differences somewhere down the road...I wish auto-feed scanners were more affordable for home use

Our librarian at work is currently scanning a bunch of old bound documents...I am talking book binding, not spiral bound...so I may have to fight her to get access to the scanner (j/k) Talk about a bunch of work!

AFIK, the red cover is the only version of The Art of Scale Model Rocketry. The blue cover he spoke of is a precursor to ROTW called Scale Model Rocketry. I have the blue cover book and the 1st edition ROTW hardback. I bought my son the 2nd edition of ROTW.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
AFIK, the red cover is the only version of The Art of Scale Model Rocketry. The blue cover he spoke of is a precursor to ROTW called Scale Model Rocketry. I have the blue cover book and the 1st edition ROTW hardback. I bought my son the 2nd edition of ROTW.

Yes, this is correct.

I thought I'd posted something clarifying this, but I must have accidentally deleted it before sending.

Peter Alway
Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Old BAR

I have the 1994 (?) Art of Scale Model Rocketry. As I said, it propelled me into scale.
I will be perfectly happy to lend it out to be scanned, though. It's in great shape. I'll send it if needed!
Allen